New Stove Install.. any advice welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2009
west mass
So I have been planning on putting in a stove awhile, I got a steal on a England stove works 13NC a while back (paid like 1/3 original cost at lowes when they put them on clearance) and I have 3 cords wood that's 2 years old stacked and dried plus next years wood already too. F'd up my hand good few months back so I am way behind in the things I wanted to get done, which includes the stove install which has also turned into remodeling the entire room. I pulled all the walls, ceiling and sub floor. I have reinforced the joists and put down a new sub. I am dry-walling now and reinforced some ceiling joists in the floor above. I hope to be able to run the chimney straight up through a dead space in second floor and out the roof. I am hoping to get the chimney out threw here, the hip roof for lack of a better term next to the dormer:
522720_498719883495892_1262514556_n.jpg

this space is just slightly wider than the 26" wide metal flashing that chimney goes through on roof, hoping wont have issues with leaks.

The chimney will have to sneak thru the second floor joists where the gap isn't the width of the shield box, so I sister-ed in new joists and will cut away old to get it to fit
29361_498720276829186_1954403028_n.jpg

you can see where I did it to left and right as I wasn't sure which set of joists I was going to sneak through until I broke into the dead space above. (the set to the left or two to the right) It appears going to the left is where I will try my luck.

I got to get chimney through this space in second floor:
44701_498720640162483_1377559766_n.jpg

I need to stay to the right as much as possible and try to get the chimney about centered on the roof where it exits. Anyone done an install like this? The measurements appear to all work out for clearances but this there isn't much room for adjustments. Any tips appreciated. Or if anyone sees anything wrong let me know!

Thanks

What size flue are you using, 6"? What brand pipe? For frame of reference DuraTech's roof flashing base is 20" wide. Be sure you honor the 2" clearance requirement to the side joists all the way through the roof. It looks like you will also need to go up quite a bit to clear the all roof within 10ft, by 2ft. That will mean a brace for the pipe at the 5 ft level.

What size flue are you using, 6"? What brand pipe? For frame of reference DuraTech's roof flashing base is 20" wide. Be sure you honor the 2" clearance requirement to the side joists all the way through the roof. It looks like you will also need to go up quite a bit to clear the all roof within 10ft, by 2ft. That will mean a brace for the pipe at the 5 ft level.
Duravent Duraplus 6"
the roof flashing in the 6" basic kit measures 26" x 26"... I assume i can trim this a little if needed, seems big to me
I have around 25" between the roof rafters where its going through (old house and nothing is to code lol)
the chimney will actually exit roof about 6-7 ft up from bottom and its not as much pipe as it looks, but yeah I odered a roof bracket

i plan to stick to clearance's for sure, if I measured correct it should all work out :fingerscrossed:

Status
Not open for further replies.