new stove install pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
Here are some pics from the Avalon Perfect Fit that was installed today. Took the two guys (owner and employee) about 2.5 hours start to finish to complete. I was impressed at how cleanly they worked and how professional they were. I guess it is nice to have the owner be the man doing the installation. I have a lot to learn about this stove and how it functions. Here is my first question:

Started burning very seasoned locust about 2 p.m. today. The owner said do not be surprised if it takes 3 hours for the stove to heat up enough for the blower to come on. OK. Hours later, the blower kicks on for 30 seconds and shuts off, 30 minutes later it comes on for 10 seconds, 20 minutes later it comes on for 10 seconds and have had nothing after that. There is a 4 inch deep bed of coals in this thing right now with wood on it. How is this stove not at temp to blow hot air?

I have the top damper shut to draw gases across the tubes. bottom airflow is probably 1/3 way shut. I see secondaries.

Can someone please explain to me what they believe the issue is.

Power to stove is good. I used it for a half hour straight last night to grind some stone and run a vacuum to clean up dust in the fireplace. Blower obviously works.

I am confused. very confused. Owner said stove blower will come on after stove temp reaches 120 degrees. Thanks

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 279
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 282
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 280
update: I opened air flow to max and about 15 minutes later blower engaged. Have the blower set fairly low. still really confused about this.

Your stove has to heat up to a level before the blower will come on. If it's a new stove (which it is), I would think the small loads you are burning may not be getting the stove hot enough to trigger the blower on. Simple rules with stoves. More air to the fire means a faster burn and more heat loss to the chimney. When you close the air down, you reduce the burn and keep more heat in the stove which should kick up the secondary burns.

Boom Stick said:
update: I opened air flow to max and about 15 minutes later blower engaged. Have the blower set fairly low. still really confused about this.

Looks great Boom Stick. We have the Lopi Liberty, attached are some pictures of the sensor for the blower on our Liberty, we never had a problem but your contact might need some adjusting.

I'm sure my wording is wrong so maybe a mod can jump in.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4376.jpg
    100_4376.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 100_4379.jpg
    100_4379.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_4380.jpg
    100_4380.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_4381.jpg
    100_4381.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_4380-1.jpg
    100_4380-1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 244
Zap, just curious as to why your snap disk assembly is installed at the bottom of your stove? Mine is installed between the heat shield and the back of the stove where the manuel says to put it

lopiliberty said:
Zap, just curious as to why your snap disk assembly is installed at the bottom of your stove? Mine is installed between the heat shield and the back of the stove where the manuel says to put it

I think the installers had better luck with it in that area (can't remember for sure) kicking on sooner plus better contact. I will be stopping by the stove shop next week so I'll get the real reason.

I think it stays on longer also. Looks like I'll take the air compressor to that tomorrow afternoon, needs a good cleaning, last time I did that was before the start of the heating season last year.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.