New Stove Install Today - Update - It's In!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan

Oct 3, 2006
Holland Patent, NY
Hi all...today's the day my new Lopi Revere is being installed. It's about 30 degrees here in Upstate NY and since our boiler just kicked the bucket a few weeks ago, it couldn't have come at a better time.

I will post a before and after link later...

One question I have now though...

Are you supposed to tip the installation guys? After paying $400 or so for the install, should I assume it's not expected? Or do these install guys look forward to that.

If it's a normal thing to tip these guys, I don't have a problem doing it, just don't want to if it's not normal.

Dunadan said:
Hi all...today's the day my new Lopi Revere is being installed. It's about 30 degrees here in Upstate NY and since our boiler just kicked the bucket a few weeks ago, it couldn't have come at a better time.

I will post a before and after link later...

One question I have now though...

Are you supposed to tip the installation guys? After paying $400 or so for the install, should I assume it's not expected? Or do these install guys look forward to that.

If it's a normal thing to tip these guys, I don't have a problem doing it, just don't want to if it's not normal.

I wouldn’t tip them unless they did some “extra” work that wasn’t part of the actual installation. Perhaps if they were to carry in a ½ cord of wood, split some logs or chop up some kindling I would consider it.

agreed- no tip, unless they go "over and beyond" what they normally do. For instance, inour case, an INSTALL, is just that, and install. Sometimes, we get there, and there is still a heavy old stove on the hearth, or an old insert in the fireplace.....to do the install, youve got to remove the old unit and clean the firebox, etc.....I think doing that is "over and above" what the install entails....tipworthy, in other words.

With something like this I always start with something like offering fresh coffee at break time or Ice tea with some rolls or cookies, offering well before so they are not running out..After if they are really clean and go out of their way to do a good job will slide some cash..sometimes a beer when finished depends..

If they have done a good I sign the permit so they can get paid

Dunadan said:
Are you supposed to tip the installation guys?

No, please don't tip them. This tipping thing is getting out of hand. They are getting paid to do a job. Leave them alone and let them do it. If they did a good job, then thank them. No need to feel guilty. Also, don't offer them a tip or beer because it may get them in trouble with their boss.

same here when someone comes to my house i don't even offer i just go down to dunkin donuts and buy some donuts and coffee and 9 times out of ten they take it. and if they don't well more for me :) and they do a real nice job :) treat people right and most times they will treat you right. but i never let people take my kindness for weakness im firm when it comes to business keep up with your end of the deal and ill be the best guy you can do business with.

thanks
Jason

Nice!!! Congratulations on the new stove!!!

And as far as tipping goes, I did the same as Rooster. I had my fiance run to DD and pick up coffee and munchkins. Let me tell you, the were LOVING me :) They en just charged me the base install price, though they had to remove all the old piping first. And that wasn't even in the scope of work :)

I'm not saying you have to give the a C-note or anything, but just be nice and polite. You'd be surprised.

I always tip, just my nature i guess. i also used to deliver appliances in high school and 90% of the time blue collar guys would always be friendly, offer me a drink and tip if we did a good job. While 90% of the folks in the mcmansions would be rude and also never give me a penny.

for something like the install i'd give em 20-40 bucks, depends how long they were there and how good of a job they did.

I have to agree that a $.$$ tip is not necessary; unless they do truely go over and above to do extra (unbilled) work. I treat those doing work in or on my home well, offer them refreshments and try to make their job easier by staying out of the way. I think they appreciate that. I have also been known to have a beer or two ready to go once the job is done.

Ha,ha ...... All these offers for beer as a tip , "My tip is" make sue you have your stove installed in the morning , after a few installs and by the afternoon ya just dont know what you might get. :)

Very nice looking stove and install Dunadan.

Hey, just ordered the exact same insert. How did you get yours with black handles and black trim. I thought the handles and trim (just above the blower) were always brass unless you ordered the pewter door option then the trim/handles were pewter. Or does the stove come with black handles if its a black door? I'll need to followup on this with my dealer if that's the case. My wife would love the all black look you've got.

BTW, great looking install there. Hope ours turns out as nice.

Eric Finn

Eric - I believe the standard door is black and Brass and Pewter are optional.

Roosterboy - nice looking Olympic there. I almost went with an Avalon Ranier, but liked the larger firebox on the Revere. I would have loved a freestander like you have, but I didn't have the room and couldn't see forcing it in and leaving an unused fireplace.

Webmaster - the specs call for a non-combustable hearth that is 26" in depth and 48" wide. The 26" is to account for the 10" the stove sticks out, plus the required 16". My normal hearth is at least 48", but as you pointed out, not 48" with a depth of 26" across the entire span. Hmmmm....good point. I had another large piece of slate which I put down just to be safe. Thanks.

Congrate, welcome. enjoy the stove and take it easy on it, breaking it in small fires

Hello to all! I am a new user to the forum world and I have some questions that maybe someone here can help with. I bought a 100+ year old home with a woodburing stove! Great right? Yes, if you wanted to heat the outside porch! It is not installed and just taking up space on my porch. I would really love to heat my home this winter (I'm sure my kids and dogs would like that as well) but I do not have a clue how to do this. :bug: I have been to all the major do-it-yourself stores and no one there can help me either. I have googled and called but cannot find anyone who can help me (unless we buy there stove and liners). I have the liners (I think all that I need) but, do not know how to attach the stove to the liner, flue sizing (which I am now reading alot about in here), if I should just hire a pro, where to find a pro...aye aye aye! The list goes on! If anyone can help me, maybe even talk to me about this as if I am a 5 year old, I would appreciate it! Thanks to all who reply!

rmrofgod said:
Hello to all! I am a new user to the forum world and I have some questions that maybe someone here can help with. I bought a 100+ year old home with a woodburing stove! Great right? Yes, if you wanted to heat the outside porch! It is not installed and just taking up space on my porch. I would really love to heat my home this winter (I'm sure my kids and dogs would like that as well) but I do not have a clue how to do this. :bug: I have been to all the major do-it-yourself stores and no one there can help me either. I have googled and called but cannot find anyone who can help me (unless we buy there stove and liners). I have the liners (I think all that I need) but, do not know how to attach the stove to the liner, flue sizing (which I am now reading alot about in here), if I should just hire a pro, where to find a pro...aye aye aye! The list goes on! If anyone can help me, maybe even talk to me about this as if I am a 5 year old, I would appreciate it! Thanks to all who reply!
Need all the information you can give and PICTURES will also be a BIG + .
Need to know about the stove , where its going , how its going in ( insert stove / free standing stove / bot belly stove / name brand ect.. Does the stove have a tag on the back or side ? The more info you can give the more we can give back .

Welcome to the forum.

How tall is that offset box. I would love to have my stove extend more out of the fireplace. But I've only got 3 3/4 inches of clearance between top of stove and bottom of the hearth.

Looks great , nice choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.