New Stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCweld

Feb 26, 2010
N.E. Pa.(Lackawanna Co.)
My wife and I finally finished the Hearth. Glowing embers did the stove install.
We even picked up a ton of barefoots in the Tundra, we drove about 30 miles
with them and the truck was fine. So I guess I am on my way.
Right now I am just trying to get used to the stove, its been burning for a week
all is well so far.
So what do ya think?
Thanks matt

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 653
Looks wonderful! Might I suggest, aesthetically, of course, to paint your stove pipe black?

Lousyweather said:
Looks wonderful! Might I suggest, aesthetically, of course, to paint your stove pipe black?
Thats the next step, but I may take it apart and take it outside when the weather is better.
Thanks for looking.

MCweld,

You and your wife did a great job on the hearth and backing.

You should have many years of enjoyment from your stove and install.

Glad to see you are using top quality pellets also.

Enjoy!

Ranger

The install looks great! Thanks for the pic, and enjoy the heat!

PS If you DO decide to remove the pipe this summer to paint it, don't forget to clean it first to remove any dirt and oils on the galvanized, or the paint may not stick well. A mixture of 1 gal of water, and 1 qt of white vinegar wiped onto it with a sponge, then rinsed and dried will do the trick.

Looks great.
Yup definately need to paint the pipe for sure.

Just finished a similar type corner hearth at out house.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Looks great.

Just finished a similar type corner hearth at out house.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy.

Snowy

I'm trying the out house thing in the AM, can't wait. thanks for the advise. Hope the wife likes it.

msmith66 said:
Snowy Rivers said:
Looks great.

Just finished a similar type corner hearth at out house......

Snowy

I'm trying the out house thing in the AM, can't wait. thanks for the advise. Hope the wife likes it.

You and Snowy BOTH have outhouses??? And you have pellet stoves in them??? Cool! er, I mean Hot! :lol: What does your wife think of having to use an outhouse in the 21st century?

BIGGGGGGGGGGGG OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Sorry meant to say "at our house"

Just finished a similar raised hearth setup.

OH my, sits embarased in the corner.

Snowy

Looking Good ! Enjoy!!!!! :coolsmile:

Snowy Rivers said:
BIGGGGGGGGGGGG OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Sorry meant to say "at our house"

Just finished a similar raised hearth setup.

OH my, sits embarased in the corner.

Snowy
Hi Snowy, thanks for looking at my hearth. I don't know where your stove is but this stove is in my
basement where room is not a problem. If I put this in my living area it would have to be much smaller.
Besides the wife wants me to do the backsplash in our kitchen so that hearth was on the job training.
I am going to finish the basement eventually so this is the first part. We have a new house, 2 years old and
I did not even get the lawn it yet so I have my work cut out for me.
Looks like we could hit the 60's here in NE PA at the end of the week so spring might be here!
Have a great day to everyone
Matt
PS I have included a pic of my vented fireplace I had installed 2 years ago , we finally got around to putting the mantel on
and the tile.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 365
OJT is a good thing.

I have the master bath to do a tile floor in soon. I have been putting it off for nearly 4 years now and it needs doing.

Took a refresher course in doing tile with the stove hearth.

Bought a tile saw at a garage sale last summer for $5. It was mssing the little cog drive belt, the belt guard and the water pan that goes underneith.

Got a belt from the NAPA store and said to heck with the rest.

Use a sawed off soap bucket to hold the water and sit the pump in.

Wash the mess off the patio with the hose after finished.

The saw makes doing tile easy for sure.

Our stove is in the Family room in a rear corner.

A big room so space was not an issue at all.

This is one of our primary heat sources so it needed to be centrally located to really work well.

House is a triple wide manufactured home of near 2400 feet sitting on a full daylight basement.
1000 foot apartment downstairs that is self contained and the ballance of the space is my shop and storage room.

Nice job, enjoy

Snowy

the old ranger said:
MCweld,

You and your wife did a great job on the hearth and backing.

You should have many years of enjoyment from your stove and install.

Glad to see you are using top quality pellets also.

Enjoy!

Ranger

Ranger,

I noticed you own a Lopi pellet stove. I have a Lopi Fox Fire pellet stove that's abaout 12-14 years old that I'm looking to replace. Long story short I've been looking at newer Lopi models as well as Harman and Quadra Fire. Are you happy with your Lopi? Any problems that you can pass along to me. Overall opinion of Lopi quality, customer service, etc.? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi Matt

Looks great good luck with it!

What Materials did you use for the hearth and where did you get them?

You can send the pic to Craig Issod and he will add it to the gallery on the site.

He put my Avalon Astoria on the site. The raised hearth I made from 2x4s finished wood and Tiles from Home Depot.
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/pellet/source/finalpelstovepic.html

I also built in a 220v - 900 watt Electric KickSpace heater in the bottom with a black grill but rarely use it!

Also I added amber rope light around the back tiles and red rope light around the bottom.

See picture at night
http://24.34.84.89:8080/trhproj.nsf/a39d98cf5938eea08525668d004ca96f/42e1a03a71224912852575f4000e74cb/$FILE/finalPSpicAtnight.jpg

Don

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 243
Don2222 said:
Hi Matt

Looks great good luck with it!

What Materials did you use for the hearth and where did you get them?

You can send the pic to Craig Issod and he will add it to the gallery on the site.

He put my Avalon Astoria on the site. The raised hearth I made from 2x4s finished wood and Tiles from Home Depot.
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/pellet/source/finalpelstovepic.html

I also built in a 220v - 900 watt Electric KickSpace heater in the bottom with a black grill but rarely use it!

Also I added amber rope light around the back tiles and red rope light around the bottom.

See picture at night
http://24.34.84.89:8080/trhproj.nsf/a39d98cf5938eea08525668d004ca96f/42e1a03a71224912852575f4000e74cb/$FILE/finalPSpicAtnight.jpg

Don
Hi Don
I made the hearth out of 2x4's with 3/4 plywood on top. I then used 1/2 cement board, I also used the cement board
on the back. i bought all materials at Home Depot.
I really like your rope lights I used them on a landscape job in my yard and its a touch people don't expect but looks great.
Good Luck Matt

MCweld said:
My wife and I finally finished the Hearth. Glowing embers did the stove install.
We even picked up a ton of barefoots in the Tundra, we drove about 30 miles
with them and the truck was fine. So I guess I am on my way.
Right now I am just trying to get used to the stove, its been burning for a week
all is well so far.
So what do ya think?
Thanks matt

I've never seen anyone rip out the glass enclosure of their shower and install a stove in there. Awesome tile work!

I have never seen anything remotely like that picture with the rope lights, LOL it looks like Warning Will Robinson, the Jupitor 2 is taking off with out you. Pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.