new stove installed - got a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UPswede

Jan 9, 2014
Michigan
Finally had my stove installed today. I was going to install it myself, but the stove shop where I bought it gave me a decent price on the stove, chimney/connector parts, and the install. After many delays today was the day!
The install looks pretty good, but I did have to speak up in order to avert a couple of "shortcuts" and wrong turns. I made sure all clearance to combustibles requirements were met or exceeded..... or at least I thought I did.
After the installers left I was admiring the new stove install and checking measurements. When I measured the Duravent round ceiling support box clearance from the bottom of the box to the finished ceiling it measured about a half inch shy of the required measurement. Bummer! What do you think?

What do the specs say for the ceiling support box? What did you measure, and if tou could post a pic it would probably help.

I'm not sure what you are measuring? I'm pretty sure the projection into the room is factory set with the round box. How bout a picture?

I'm not sure what you are measuring? I'm pretty sure the projection into the room is factory set with the round box. How bout a picture

Allot of them have a minimum projection down into the room. I really doubt that 1/2" there will be a problem but you should have them fix it for sure but i would burn it in the mean time personally if that infact is the issue

Allot of them have a minimum projection down into the room. I really doubt that 1/2" there will be a problem but you should have them fix it for sure but i would burn it in the mean time personally if that infact is the issue
I know the cathedral support boxes do, I just don't remember the round box being adjustable.

I dont use dura vent so i dont know that particular one but from the description that is what i thought they meant we will have to wait for a reply i guess

Thanks for the replies. I have duravent dvl connector .going up from the stove collar into a snap - lock adapter which goes into the round ceiling support box. The support box lists a 3 in. Min. projection below the finished ceiling into the room (standard 8 ft. ceiling, drywall finished with a thin skim coat of plaster). I measured the projection down into the room to be just over 2 1/4 inches. I will try to figure out how to post a picture. Thanks again for the replies.
I am not sure if I am making too much of this or not. Safety is the issue I am most concerned about, but dropping it an additional 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch seems like almost a complete reinstallation. Is there another viable option?

If they did it wrong and they need to do a complete reinstall so be it. I am a pro and if i screw up i need to fix it no matter what it takes

I just installed a round ceiling adapter and there is no preset or mark on the outside. Mine was 3" min and I made it 4"+ just to be sure. I had to add a metal extension at the top to make sure insulation could not get into the collar area. Typically, you'd install it from above, so I'm wondering if they just guessed and didn't check. I did mine myself and it is sure a PITA to do alone. If someone was inside during install and they missed the 3" min., that is really bad.

At 2 1/4" I think I would have them change it. If there was a fire or problem years from now, the insurance could point to the error and void the claim - at least they do that in Canada all the time.

I'm discovering why some installations take a day and others (like mine) take FOREVER. There is a lot of nitpicky fussing around to make sure everything looks perfect, works perfectly and is at code or better.

my ceiling support box from duravent required a 2" minimum projection from ceiling. perhaps the installers saw this as well? i had to buy two of them. the 11" box included in my kit was too short, so i had to buy the 24" both intsruction manuals that were in the boxes had a 2" minimum. hope this helps. i should note that mine were square, but that may be where the 2"/3" difference comes in.

The min for the round support box is 3 as far as I can tell.
Measured 2 1/4 when taking the pic. There did seem to be a preset drop in the way it was made as mentioned by Webbie but I don't know. 20141126_203345.jpg

interesting. i don't think that you have a safety issue, but you always want a proper install when paying for such. i had a hot fire in my new install the other day, got curious, and wanted to touch the ceiling support box to check if it was hot. to my surprise, it was only as warm as the air around it.

interesting. i don't think that you have a safety issue, but you always want a proper install when paying for such. i had a hot fire in my new install the other day, got curious, and wanted to touch the ceiling support box to check if it was hot. to my surprise, it was only as warm as the air around it.

Its about protecting the ceiling from the stove pipe not the support box or even the chimney pipe.

The wider (larger in diameter) upper cylinder of the box is resting on the ceiling drywall and screwed into the 2x4 frame . If lowered 3/4 in. I don't think the trim plate would make contact with the ceiling, and a larger hole would need to be cut to lower it. I am confused/frustrated.
1417108685888.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, we have had the same setup for the past 8 years. Our support box collar projects 3.5" into the room. 0.5" is taken up by the thickness of the trim ring. Looks like they may have mounted the support box up too high or is there a double layer of sheetrock on the ceiling?

Duravent-support1.jpg duravent-support2.jpg

Duravent sells a square trim piece option for the rcs box. We felt the black round had a larger visual look that we didn't like as much. I like what you did with your trim collar. We bought both intending to return one.
I built the house 30 years ago - just one layer cut out, then open to attic

Looking at the new DuraTech catalog it is possible they have shortened this collar. I looked at a couple of their ceiling support boxes and the projection into the room does appear to be about an inch shorter than with our support box. DuraVent has been revising parts of this line since they took it over from Simpson. Our support box is Simpson. It could be your installer did install it correctly if it is flush with the ceiling on the other side.

Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 9.32.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 9.33.16 AM.png

Its about protecting the ceiling from the stove pipe not the support box or even the chimney pipe.

That's what i was told. My minimun to combustables for double wall was 6", My ceiling box protrudes 6" into the room. Puts my double wall 6" from the combustable ceiling.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I suspect the clearance distance should be the diagonal distance past the trim ring. The piping and support box needs to be tested by UL to get certified. Perhaps the trim ring acts as a shield? FWIW I have found no heat radiation issues when checking temps with an IR thermometer up there. But if I had single wall I would want to know a bit more. Maybe call DuraVent support tomorrow?

Thanks, I should go in the attic tomorrow ( family gathering shortly) to make sure it is resting on the ceiling. Should be able to sweep away the insulation, unscrew the AIS, to see the box.

What is the correct cutout size for the rcs box? Installer used the inside circle of the trim ring as a template

BG, it would make my day if indeed this is a lack of updating on duravent's part.

Their support is pretty good. Let us know what they say.

The min for the round support box is 3 as far as I can tell.
Measured 2 1/4 when taking the pic. There did seem to be a preset drop in the way it was made as mentioned by Webbie but I don't know. View attachment 145942
Your drywall is too close from what I see. That larger upper part of the box that you refer to is as close as combustibles can be. The trim ring then covers the gap. That part of the box where the drywall meets it is essentially the pipe. If the box was dropped another 1/2" the drywall would be trimmed out to the larger part of the box. We don't do very many round boxes, maybe I'm off?

Webby,
I think I understand your explanation and it would allow for use of the trim plate.

If DougA lowered his rcs box 4 in he must have one of the older boxes like BG's. Would be interested to know cause I don't think I could achieve more than the minimum using Webby's line of thought.

If DougA or anyone else has installed the current version rcs box I would be very interested to hear the diameter of their ceiling cutout and details of their install.

Webby,
I think I understand your explanation and it would allow for use of the trim plate.

If DougA lowered his rcs box 4 in he must have one of the older boxes like BG's. Would be interested to know cause I don't think I could achieve more than the minimum using Webby's line of thought.

If DougA or anyone else has installed the current version rcs box I would be very interested to hear the diameter of their ceiling cutout and details of their install.
The diameter will be 12" for 6" class a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.