New stove, looking for opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hughhamm

Sep 13, 2011
central virginia
First post; been a long time looker. Well after much thought i went and bought a Country Hearth 2500ln at Tractor Supply. Its made by U.S stove . This will go into a new install, in my home, instead of the non EPA/UL listed stove that i had before. Just to be safe with the insurance company, who will know of install before use. Could not find to much info on the stoves but liked the build of the stove. The handle is a lot more beefier than most i looked at, and liked the legs vs. the pedestal. The house it will heat is only 750 square feet; but the attic is a walk up full attic which i use for storage and will eventuality be finished. the house is well insulated. all-most super insulated in some parts, new windows and doors. Any input on these stoves would be great. Thanks

No experience with these stoves Hugh but welcome to the forum.

I am seriously concerned that you have too much stove for that space. Which will have you constantly running it inefficiently. I am in Northern VA and heat a house three times that size with just 1980's builder insulation and crappy windows with a stove not much bigger than that one. People talk about building smaller fires but by the time you get that bad boy up to an efficient operating temp you are going to be eating and sleeping in the garage.

hughhamm said:
First post; been a long time looker. Well after much thought i went and bought a Country Hearth 2500ln at Tractor Supply. Its made by U.S stove . This will go into a new install, in my home, instead of the non EPA/UL listed stove that i had before. Just to be safe with the insurance company, who will know of install before use. Could not find to much info on the stoves but liked the build of the stove. The handle is a lot more beefier than most i looked at, and liked the legs vs. the pedestal. The house it will heat is only 750 square feet; but the attic is a walk up full attic which i use for storage and will eventuality be finished. the house is well insulated. all-most super insulated in some parts, new windows and doors. Any input on these stoves would be great. Thanks

Hugh welcome to the forum! If that's the stove that another forum member pointed out you should no problem heating your home! Very nice looking as well!! Good luck and keep us posted with progress pics or it never happened... :)

Ray

That is definitely a lot of stove for a house of your size and in that climate. No problem staying warm with that thing. You may have some of those windows open all winter.

Yes that is the stove in the link. But the one I have has legs. For some reason the only place to find it is on tractor supply site. And yes I know that I may be hot this winter. Hell about froze last winter using a kerosene heater and crappy Windows,it will be a welcome change. I wanted something that would burn while at work heat the house and the house hold the heat till I got home. Same at night. This will be the main heat source for my home.
At the NOVA response, I live in Roanoke we get some cold ones here as I'm sure you do there.
As for the stove I walked out the store with it for 809.99. The heat shield on the back had a bend in it. I called US stove and they said they would send me a new on no charge. Manager took 10% off for that and for some reason no tax......I wasn't complaining. How would I damper the stove down?? Not that I want to. Really glad to have a clean burning stove. My neighbor has a smoker EPA exempt stove don't even know what it is, but it keeps his house warm.80+ sometimes. He thinks his stove doesn't smoke.........guess ill have to show him what no smoke is. Well I hope
I'll get pics up soon I'm in the race to get this in before winter. Closed in a 8 by 18 porch and this is where the stove will sit. Removing the door and two Windows that separated the porch from the house. And as for opening the windows, fresh air is good right....
I hope the install of the duraplus chimney goes as planned. Any input on sweeping a chimney that has two 15 degree elbows in it? Is it possible without breaking down the chimney??
I have known that I wanted to burn wood this winter since last winter. I started gathering and splitting the wood in the spring. It's been drying all summer and part of the spring. Lots of locusts and maple look bit of oak. Guess there is only one way to find out if I got enough. Roughly two to two and a half cords.
Ok I'm rambling now but, well I'm excited to see low bills this winter and stay warm.

Don't be bashful about asking questions here during the install. You may not like the answers but people here really want to help you get it done right.

Congrats on the purchase. My Incle just bought the 2000 model to replace his Smoke Dragon. He to is excited. When he got the stove home and installed. He called me over to have a look. His ceramic board in the top was broke. He calles US Stove and they quickly sent him out a new one. Seems to be pretty good customer service. Based on both his and uour experience.

As BB said. Ask and yoh shall receive. No question is a dumb question.

And another lurker pops out of the closet. Welcome.

BrotherBart's POV is contrarian around here, but happens to be one I agree with. The Tim-the-Toolman approach to stoves seems popular here: bigger is better (MORE STOVE), always size up if in doubt. And folks have their reasons for feeling that way. My philosophy is that the right size is the best size--do your best to find the stove that matches your needs, so you are not running that puppy full out all the time, or building little creosote chokers in an oversized stove. When you get it right, it's a beautiful thing.

Given that your stove will be on an enclosed porch, from which you can spill excessive heat if you wish, and that an expansion of living space is in the works, and that you got a honkin' deal on the thing, it sounds like the stars aligned for you. If it does turn out to be too much stove, you won't be the first person that happened to, and at that price you can probably CL it and buy another stove if necessary. It's not like you've invested multiple thousands of dollars and bought a 600 lb stove. If you got it right the first time, OTOH, there you are. Life is a learning experience, and when it comes to stoves, we get do-overs. PITA, yes, but it can be done.

Here's hoping that you got it right the first time. You didn't say anything about firewood--have you got that going yet?

snowleopard said:
And another lurker pops out of the closet. Welcome.

You didn't say anything about firewood--have you got that going yet?

He does--see post #6.

I've seen the US Stoves at Tractor Supply and they seem solid. I might have gone with the 2000 instead of the 2500 in your situation, but no worries, it sounds like you got a good deal on the stove. You may find yourself only reloading a couple of times a day and letting the fire go out (or almost) in between so as not to cook yourself out of the place. Get some Supercedars, they make it very easy to re-light the fire. It will definitely keep you warmer than a kerosene heater and be a lot safer too.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I think the stove may be a bit oversized but that is just my $.02...

hughhamm said:
Yes that is the stove in the link. But the one I have has legs. For some reason the only place to find it is on tractor supply site. And yes I know that I may be hot this winter. Hell about froze last winter using a kerosene heater and crappy Windows,it will be a welcome change. I wanted something that would burn while at work heat the house and the house hold the heat till I got home. Same at night. This will be the main heat source for my home.
At the NOVA response, I live in Roanoke we get some cold ones here as I'm sure you do there.
As for the stove I walked out the store with it for 809.99. The heat shield on the back had a bend in it. I called US stove and they said they would send me a new on no charge. Manager took 10% off for that and for some reason no tax......I wasn't complaining. How would I damper the stove down?? Not that I want to. Really glad to have a clean burning stove. My neighbor has a smoker EPA exempt stove don't even know what it is, but it keeps his house warm.80+ sometimes. He thinks his stove doesn't smoke.........guess ill have to show him what no smoke is. Well I hope
I'll get pics up soon I'm in the race to get this in before winter. Closed in a 8 by 18 porch and this is where the stove will sit. Removing the door and two Windows that separated the porch from the house. And as for opening the windows, fresh air is good right....
I hope the install of the duraplus chimney goes as planned. Any input on sweeping a chimney that has two 15 degree elbows in it? Is it possible without breaking down the chimney??
I have known that I wanted to burn wood this winter since last winter. I started gathering and splitting the wood in the spring. It's been drying all summer and part of the spring. Lots of locusts and maple look bit of oak. Guess there is only one way to find out if I got enough. Roughly two to two and a half cords.
Ok I'm rambling now but, well I'm excited to see low bills this winter and stay warm.

I have to agree on the stove size. From the description, a medium sized cat stove would have been a great fit for the house and would provide the long burntimes desired. First choices for me would have been a Buck 20 or a Woodstock Keystone.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am a little worried about the stove size, I know it is oversized to say the least. But I can crack a door or window. Fresh air is good as far as I see. The one thing about wood heat I don't care for is the lack of a filtering system..... I am away from the house for 8-10 hours a day, work, daughter to school, daily life. The thought is to use the extra heat is to open the attic door and let it to go up the stairs. Well if that is where it wants to go. For a small house th floor plan is pretty open. I would like to say I want to get some of that heat to the basement. That will be another venture for after the stove is in. If I even mess with that. Then the square footage would be up to almost 2000 but that is if I can get the heat to move to the basement. With the attic it'll be around 1300 square feet. I don't know. I don't really mind lightning the fire if hat is what I need to do a few times a day. I'll get some pics this weekend and get some more input on the chimney path. I value the input here. I value experience. Just liked the larger fire box of the 2500.

Heat to the attic should be possible if there is a decent convective path for the warm air to get up there and for the cold air to return. It would be easier with the stove centered in the house than in a side room, but maybe a fan can help with the air circulation. Getting heat to the basement is probably not going to happen. I think you may be pushing the river there.

Yeah I'm not to optimistic about the basement heat. It'll be a experament. Figure that will be a safer one than thing to mod old stove for secondary burn. 8" in line fan and some insulated duct that I already have. But ill be fighting the flow of heat. So yeah what I first said not to optimistic but well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.