New Stove, New Member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanhudson

Burning Hunk
Feb 18, 2012
South Dakota
Long time reader first time poster...

I just recently purchased and installed a new Drolet Austral ($635 before tax after rebate at Menards) and thought I'd share my thoughts on the forum. The stove is AWESOME, actually I think the stove is very much like myself, not much to look at but willing to work hard. This winter has been un-naturally warm in South Dakota so I havent had a chance to really crank the stove up but it burns well with both small and large loads.

I researched this model and brand extensively prior to purchase and was unable to find much information about this particular model or any Drolet large stoves (i.e Baltic, Legend, Myriad, Austral) prior to my purchase. As such I wanted to share my experience thus far. The stove is large (3.1cf fire box) and weighs a ton (close to 400 lbs with the crate), comes with pre-installed blower (more on this in a minute), and 99% assembled (install handles and ash pan). I have been getting overnight burns with a full load of ponderosa pine (if only we had hardwoods in this part of the country).

The stove comes with a lever on the left rear of the stove, this lever opens a bypass damper which allows the smoke to bypass the baffle plate when open. I find this feature useful on start-up and reload; I have had only minimal smoke spillage into the room and that was upon startup, never on reloads. One of the few threads I read regarding Drolet on this forum was in regard to customer service. My Austral came with a couple of broken fire bricks and the blower does not appear to be functioning correctly (fan randomly varies speed no matter the setting). I contacted Drolet customer service and spoke with a very nice gentleman named Eric, who promptly shipped me some new bricks and a new blower no questions asked.

I look forward to posting more and becoming an active member of this community. I will try and post some pics when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the great write-up. I wonder how people make out with these and surprised I don't hear more about them.

Above all, welcome to the site!

pen

Welcome, and thanks for posting about what your experience has been so far with the Drolet. My Lopi Liberty has a similar bypass feature, which I find to be particularly useful on startup...not so much on reloads, but sometimes, for sure. I've been in South Dakota in the wintertime, albeit a few decades ago, so I know it can get downright cold there. I'm glad you're getting good burns from the softwoods, which is all many of us of the mid-to-northwesterly persuasion have available. I'm really glad to hear that Drolet is trying their best to keep you happy. Again, welcome. Rick

Welcome Ethan. Ain't nothin like a big honkin steel stove on a cold night. And you guys get ya some cold nights.

Welcome to the forum ethanhudson ! It sounds like your off to a good start and have a good stove :) Good luck in your burning ventures.

Pete

Welcome to the site.

Glad the stove is working good for you.

Welcome to our second home. As you may have noticed, there are alot of knowledgeable folks here that can point you in the right direction. enjoy that stove.

Thanks for the warm welcome! This is a great site and I have been lurking for quite a while; figured it was about time I actually start posting.

Pic as promised...

Attachments

• 02212012035 (2).jpg
    02212012035 (2).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 282
Wow, that's a ball of fire. Is that with the air all the way closed?

Big ole' fire alright! Welcome and looking good! Cheers!

BeGreen said:
Wow, that's a ball of fire. Is that with the air all the way closed?

No, the air was wide open; I was just getting her fired up for the night. Plus a guys gotta show off ya know...

Nice fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.