New stove noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stocker

Oct 31, 2010
Northwest Indiana
Just upsized my old little woodstove to a Super 27. My questions is...is it supposed to be making popping sounds when heating up and cooling down? Sounds like normal metal expansion and contraction but my little used stove never did that...we also followed first burn specs to a tee...Soooo whatcha think...normal?? I have had 3 cycles so far.

I have the super27, been burning for 1 year, mostly weekends, so one full winter on weekends and yes, ours will make many noises while getting up to cruising temp. We'll get rapid ticking, then a ting and a crack and a pop. Once she's cruising she's much quieter but still makes a little noise off and on between loads.

Enjoy your stove, its a good one. We are very happy!!

Dat noise is dem bats flying off... Yes, normal sounds and it is just talking to you saying, "I'm heating up now. Pay attention."

Welcome to the forum stocker.

Tick, tick, ping pong, .... it's good to go :)

PS .. it ticks & pings on cool down, too !

Welcome to the forums !

That's just your stove talking to you. Its a good thing, and after a time, you'll actually understand what she's trying to tell you. Mine has a tendency to tell me sometimes "you forgot to cut my air down you idiot and I'm wicked overfiring now..."

Cheers!

Thank you everyone I can rest easy now...just didnt want it to "crack" literally. I have been hooked on this site now for a while just reading and felt left out, so now here I am with all my dumb questions to come soon. LOL

Your manual may mention it as well. This was in mine.

Screen%20shot%202010-10-31%20at%205.39.10%20PM.jpg

I was used to the noises on my old smoke dragon.

[quote author="agartner" date="1288584201"]That's just your stove talking to you. Its a good thing, and after a time, you'll actually understand what she's trying to tell you. Mine has a tendency to tell me sometimes "you forgot to cut my air down you idiot and I'm wicked overfiring now..."

Cheers![/quote

Haha, I've heard that "turn me down dumb a$$" noise.

My wife says those pops and pings are the sounds of "heat" . . . which I tend to think is a nice way to explain the sounds of metal expanding and contracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.