New stove operation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I have read many posts regarding old vs new and alot of discussion about "learning to operate" these new stoves I have a fisher insert now and it is pretty straight forward about operation open=hot close=cold. Then I tried a VC Vigilant for a while it had a thermostatic air control and kinda small firebox so when the fire died down a bit tie air opened and burned up all the coals before morning so I put the insert back in. i found a hearthstone mansfield nearby for sale does this stove have thermostaticaly controlled air intake or is it more manual and how do some of the stoves with heat settings operate I guess im asking for a comparison of operational charictaristics of a few of the more popular stoves such as Englander, Pacific Energy, Hearthstone and some others. maybe even some real live burn times.

The Mansfield does not have a thermostatic air control, it's manual. Thermostatic air control is only on a few stoves. It is similar in operation to the other stoves mentioned, but runs at a bit lower temperature to protect the stone. This is compensated with the great heat retention of soapstone which is slowly released back into the room. It's a very nice stove.

All of the large 3 cu ft models of the stove companies mentioned should be able to provide a good 10-12 hrs burn with hardwood.

This mansfield im looking at is used. what are some things that i should look for when inspecting it? it looks like the framing is rusty can this be removed and repainted or does the stove have to be disassembled? when you say this mansfield operates at a lower temp how much lower and does this reduce/limit the amount of heat output? as compared to your Alderlea? I love the looks of the Alderlea but cant come off with the $$$ just yet. Are you happy with the Alderlea what kind of operating temps do you see? It seems like for the money the englander is the most economical. how does it compare to a soapstone or stove such as your t6. I guess im kinda grouping the t6 and the mansfield in my mind as being similar in behavior because the soapstone is slow to react and the alderlea has the cast panels on the outside it seems to me that it would produce a less intense heat similarly to the soapstone but I have never had the pleasure of witnessing either in operation. I know im asking questions all over the board but maybe more people with experience with several different types of stoves can chime in and keep this post going. oh yeah the mansfield I saw is $500 is this price in the ballpark ???

Bone1099 said:
This mansfield im looking at is used. what are some things that i should look for when inspecting it? it looks like the framing is rusty can this be removed and repainted or does the stove have to be disassembled? when you say this mansfield operates at a lower temp how much lower and does this reduce/limit the amount of heat output? as compared to your Alderlea? I love the looks of the Alderlea but cant come off with the $$$ just yet. Are you happy with the Alderlea what kind of operating temps do you see? It seems like for the money the englander is the most economical. how does it compare to a soapstone or stove such as your t6. I guess im kinda grouping the t6 and the mansfield in my mind as being similar in behavior because the soapstone is slow to react and the alderlea has the cast panels on the outside it seems to me that it would produce a less intense heat similarly to the soapstone but I have never had the pleasure of witnessing either in operation. I know im asking questions all over the board but maybe more people with experience with several different types of stoves can chime in and keep this post going. oh yeah the mansfield I saw is $500 is this price in the ballpark ???

500 bucks is an AWESOME price if it is in decent shape. To answer your question, the mansfield is what many call a softer heat. You don't get blasted out of the room but...it is hot. My mansfield stove top is now at 525 with a full load and primary intake closed. It will essentially be this way for a vast majority of the day. Sometime this afternoon, when I am in coal only mode, I will open up the air a bit but with some not so perfect wood, still getting rid of some punky stuff, I will have a steady warm, even heat. When the fire dies down, the stones will continue to radiate.

I personally love my stove and the advantages to the soapstone. For 500 I would jump on that sucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.