New stove ordered! Any tips or tricks for first timer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My install date for a new Regency I3100 is scheduled for later this month. Really looking forward to not having to use the electric baseboard heat in this house!

I've done a lot of reading on the forum and have already gained a lot of valuable information. Just wondering if there are any Regency owners or owners of similar stoves that have any tips for how to get the most out of it.

I have a 3000 square foot colonial style home, and as a kid grew up with a wood stove that heated the entire house, but this will be the first time I have had one as a homeowner.

I have really enjoyed exploring and learning throughout the forum. Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
read the manual and stick around this forum. these guy's are incredible. I can not believe what these guy's have taught me in the short time I have been a member.

If you read over the forum, I'm sure you know this....but.....

Make sure you are using well seasoned wood - most guys selling "seasoned wood" is not really seasoned. Start working on next years supply now...

Good luck!

If you read over the forum, I'm sure you know this....but.....

Make sure you are using well seasoned wood - most guys selling "seasoned wood" is not really seasoned. Start working on next years supply now...

X1000

I was basically writing this when I looked up and you beat me to it. I thought I read everything and "thought" I would have good firewood my first year. Well, it wasn't as good as I thought. <20% MC makes all the difference.

Welcome to the world of wood burning.
The first several times you use it may be a bit frustrating, but don't worry, everyone on this forum will teach you 20 years in 2 weeks. You have arrived at a really great resource. To make your life easier this is what I would do the first time out:

- Make small splits for your first few burns. No fire didn't get hot enough because the splits were too small.
- Definitely get a magnetic stovetop thermometer. It will let you know how the stove reacts to what you just adjusted (new load, air supply, etc.)
- Read the instruction manual. Stove manuals tend to be pretty useful compared to manuals of other products.

Good luck and welcome to hearth.com!

My install date for a new Regency I3100 is scheduled for later this month. Really looking forward to not having to use the electric baseboard heat in this house!

I've done a lot of reading on the forum and have already gained a lot of valuable information. Just wondering if there are any Regency owners or owners of similar stoves that have any tips for how to get the most out of it.

I have a 3000 square foot colonial style home, and as a kid grew up with a wood stove that heated the entire house, but this will be the first time I have had one as a homeowner.

I have really enjoyed exploring and learning throughout the forum. Thanks for all your help!

Welcome to the forum drewberry24.

The scary part when reading your post is that you grew up as a kid heating with a wood stove. 99% of the time in this type situation, we find the old thoughts about cut in fall, burn in winter. Well, even cutting in spring and burning in winter is a terrible idea. These new stoves need dry wood. Actually, the old ones did but few knew it or believed it.

If you plan on buying wood, don't count on it being good wood for this year. However, you might find some kiln dried wood that can get you through. Tip: start thinking of a 3 year plan. That is, getting 3 years ahead on your wood supply; cut, split and stacked outdoors in the wind. Top cover only. That will take care of well over 90% of all wood stove problems.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.