New Stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManDan

Mar 6, 2011
Scotland,CT
Hello all,

We just bought our first pellet stove its A Summers heat 55-SHP10 we got it for $400.00 and is practicly brand new. We wont be setting it up until the summer as the house we are in had the chimney closed in with drywall so i have some work to do. The house is a old farm house so it has its leaks and drafts and the chimney we will be using is currently unlined. I was looking at the FlexKing liners and believe its the best option for my situation. On the Outside air Combustion kit is it necessary on a old house? I will most likely install it going down into the basement and out by the hatchway. Just wanted to say hello to all and look forward to talking with all of the fellow pellet burners on here.

Dan

Forgot to add : I know the exhaust is 3" diameter i was looking at just a 3" liner up the chimney but then saw the owners manual said to do 4" if the flue is longer than 15' which it is. So is it best for me to do a 4" Chimney liner the hole length and just to an adapter on the Tee from 4" to 3" ?

First off welcome to the forum FireManDan.

Now to the OAK kit, it is mandatory for England stoves.

On the liner are you sure it is if the liner is more than 15' or the vent EVL is more than 15 there is a slight but important difference. An EVL figure of 15 could be a Tee and 20' of vertical pipe.

4" if the figure is 15' and not an EVL of 15. If it is EVL then it may be possible to be fine with 3" if you do the calculations and it works out.

I hope there isn't anything else venting into that chimney otherwise a choice of where to vent what is going to have to be made.

The chimney i plan to vent into was only used with a wood stove prior. So there is currently nothing being vented into it at the moment. There is a seperate chimney for my Oil Furnace on the other end of the home. As far as flue/ liner size this is what i pulled from the manual off the englander website.

Through the Ceiling
When venting the stove through the ceiling, the pipe is connected the same as through the wall,
except the clean out tee is always on the inside of the house, and a 3†adapter is added before the
clean-out tee. You must use the proper ceiling support flanges and roof flashing supplied by the pipe
manufacturer -- follow the pipe manufacturer’s directions and Illustration 1 in this manual. It is
important to note that if your vertical runs of pipe are more than fifteen feet (15’) at this point, the
pellet vent pipe should be increased to four inches (4â€) in diameter. Do not exceed four feet (4’) of
pipe on a horizontal run, and do attempt to use the least number of elbows in the flue system. If an
offset is used it is better to install a 45-degree elbow whenever possible.

Also what is EVL?

Dan

one other part

1. If 3†flue pipe exceeds 15’ in length, increase to 4†flue pipe for remaining flue connections.
2. Total flue length should not exceed 35’.
3. Horizontal run not to exceed 4’.
4. Floor protector must extend 6†from front of unit, 4†from sides and 1†from rear.
5. If the total run of outside air connection exceeds 6’, if more than 2 elbows are used, or if a
basement install, use 3†metal pipe (and coupler) instead.
6. Outside Air is mandatory for proper safe operation

Equivalent vertical vent length = EVL = effective vent length.

It is a simplified method of calculating the air flow restriction in venting.

Every elbow and vent orientation carries a number.

Horizontal runs 1 foot = 1 EVL
Vertical runs 1 foot = 0.5 EVL
90 degree elbow (or Tee) vertical = 5 EVL
45 degree elbow vertical = 2.5 EVL (actually there are two given for this one the other is 3.0 EVL)

If the elbows above are in a horizontal configuration their EVL doubles.

You sum up the EVL and if it exceeds 15 then you go to 4" piping.

Please note the stoves manual overrides all such calculations.

But that is the gist of it.

If I were you, I'd get a 3" ---> 4" stove adapter, run that into a 4" cleanout T, and then the 4" liner all the way to the top including the block-off plate and cap. No worries about EVL then.

Oh, and yes, even though the house is "leaky", install the OAK.....it will lessen the air getting pulled through the cracks.

Thanks everyone i will get up to taking some pictures of it probly wont be until this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.