New stove recomendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmule

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Conifer Colorado
Okay guys I think it is time I replace my old Shenandoah wood and coal burner that is in the basement.
Since the installation of the fire view upstairs I rarely light the one in the basement unless I am going to be down there for any length of time or if it gets below 0 and the fire view can't quite keep up.

my home is a 2500 sq foot ranch on a walk out. Part of the lower level is a 2 car garage and crawlspace. The area I want to heat is about 620 sq feet that is not finished.
The chimney is a 6" through the wall set up that has a stack height of 18'

Ideally I would put in a another fire view but I think that a iron stove would heat the area up faster and since I don't always use that space I think that would be the better way go for quicker heat in that space. What stoves can you recommend that would heat that space with a 4-6 hour burn time?

Englander NC-30 seems to be the default recommendation for lots of quick heat.

The 30-nc seems too large for 600 sq. ft. plus will burn much longer than 4-6hrs.. Perhaps a 13-NC or T-4 or the steel equivalent PE would be a better fit in this situation?

Ray

True North TN19, Napoleon 1450, Drolet Escape 1800 are a few that I would also consider.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now to find some dealers to check these out. Hopefully I can make a decision by the end of the summer

I'll throw the Lopi Republic 1250 out there. We have the 1750 and it is a good performer for us and can heat up our space relatively quickly when needed. We've got a tick under 700 sq ft to heat, but it's a choppy set up without good insulation and a lot of glass (the 1750 is rated from either 1200 or 1500 to about 2000 sw ft). Since you're looking at a lower burn time and it's an unfinished space I'm saying the 1250 would be adequete.

Status
Not open for further replies.