New stove stink!? How long?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish916

Aug 17, 2011
Eastern PA, Southern Poconos
We had this P-68 installed in our basement on Tuesday. It's Friday and the stove still stinks a bit. Is this normal? I wouldn't say it's a wood smell- more like the smell of the paint/oils burning off. When installed the Accentra 52i insert last September, and that only stunk for a few hours after we ran it. The only thing I can think is the basement space is more closed off, with less circulation for airflow. Thoughts?

Crank that thing as high as it can go and crack a window. That stink will pass.

Reactions: elevenMracing
Ha!! As high at it will go? I'll be peeling the paint off the walls!! We did run it on high for a few hours. A lot of the burn off occurred then. It's been running non stop, albeit on lower temps since Tuesday. Smell is lessening, but still tough to be around. I'll crank it up again and see where we land!

High heat for at least 6 hours, it needs to get hot, then the smell will fade away.

It's paint and oil smell. Should last maybe a week. Nice looking stove !

Reactions: Irish916
Ha!! As high at it will go? I'll be peeling the paint off the walls!! We did run it on high for a few hours. A lot of the burn off occurred then. It's been running non stop, albeit on lower temps since Tuesday. Smell is lessening, but still tough to be around. I'll crank it up again and see where we land!
Does your accentra have the enamel finish

I ran mine on higher temps for a couple of hours and it went away.

as stated above and with mine I blasted the stove on high for 5-6 hours and opened all the windows. It smelled terrible but after that the smell was gone.

Run it to the max. Bake it in. I did it in the morning and never smelled anything after that. Had to open windows as it got hot. Over and done.

No. Our accentra is black.
We got the enamel finish on our stove and we didn't notice much paint smell is why I asked. So the black must give off more fumes than the enamel.

My P43 took a few days to burn off as others have stated. The wife has a super sensitive nose, so that was a LONG few days

Status
Not open for further replies.