New stove to me "BK royal heir 2100" have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

codycleve

Sep 22, 2014
salmon, idaho
I am new to the site and first time poster. I just got a blaze king royal heir 2100 from a friend that was using it as a shop stove and have a few questions.. I grew up with with an old hurricane that was really simple so the whole combustor and bypass and all that good stuff. I started off by reading the manual and going through the stove, I feal like I have a pretty good grasp on running the new stove however upon inspections I had some questoins..
I checked the catalytic combustor to see if it was in good shape. and too my supprise it was all together missing.. So I have started shopping fot these.. With it missing I think I need to get the canned replacement combustor due to the fact that I dont have the tin housing.. would something like this work? http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/3-625-x-12-25-x-2-Canned-Catalytic-Combustor-p/cc-513.htm or are there better options?
also the handle for the bypass switch is missing.. I have done a little searching around and found this handle http://www.hechlers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1062 but I think it may not fit my stove.. Any idea on a bypass handle that will fit a stove this old..
lastly I will be installing this stove into a pre existing chimney. it is an 8 inch pipe inside of a cinder surround.. the access into this is a six inch pipe.. Should I reduce the chimney from 8 to six at the stove and run the pipe up and 90 into the six inch at the port on the cinders. or should i run 8" up and 90 to the cinders and reduce it from 8 to 6 to make that transition.. With the second option it would create a smaller pinch point where it transitions into the cinder chimney with the pipe inside of it.. I know this options will cost more but will it really help..

thanks in advance 20140922_091053_resized.jpg View attachment 139196 View attachment 139197

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I just retired my Royal Heir 2200 for a King model at the end of last season. Before you spend any money to buy a cat, make sure that the bypass door works, and that the top of the firebox is not warped too much, as they are known to do. If the previous owner burned it too hot, the bypass may not shut too well. Hechlers was where I purchased my thermostat knob a few years ago, but must be out of them, as I didn't see them listed today. It is just a round knob with a set screw in it that goes over the rod on the right side. It would not be hard to make one, or find something at a hardware store that would work. I believe it is just like the one on the thermostat control.

There will be others along shortly that will make a recommendation on the flue. I have an 8" flue, and have not had to reduce any stoves, so have no experience that way.

When you order the cat, make sure you get the gasket that goes around it.

Good luck with your stove.

Looks like Auto-rain and a1stoves both have the bypass knob available.

Looks like Auto-rain and a1stoves both have the bypass knob available.
Thanks on the leads on that part... So the bypass knob just slides towards the back and front of the stove it doesnt twist or anything... if thats the case I could easily fashion one..

Last edited by a moderator:
So I cleaned out around the bypass doors and got a bunch old crud out.. I also fashioned a new knob for the bypass lever.. the bypass doors work well and sit flush so I dont think there is a warping issue.. I called blaze and they gave me a part number for their cat.. a1 has them so I think I will order a blaze king cat. It comes with the metal housing.. I still need a gasket for this correct? So im down to the plumbing the pipe issue... should I reduce it at the stove to six inches or plumb 8 inch to the cinder insert and neck it down there.. thanks

Check with a1 to see if the gasket is included. Sometimes they are, sometimes not. Always good to have a spare around in case the cat needs to come out for some reason anyway, they can't be re-used after they have been through the fire.

As for your pipe, not many are going to speak out, as it really shouldn't be reduced. You will have to go with what looks right and is best for you. If you already have some pipe, then use it. If you have draft problems, that will be the first suspect, a choked down pipe, and not much you can do about it. It will probably work, but these stoves are good at running low and slow, but need a decent draft to do so, you will be limiting that draft with the 6" reduction. Only way to know is to try it and find out what works, and what doesn't. If you do have trouble with draft you could try double wall pipe to help keep the heat up in the flue. More expensive, but might be worth it to increase draft. That stuff isn't cheap, and would be reason to try 6" from stove to chimney.

Thanks for all the help, I ordered the combustor from a1 and it said that it comes witht he gasket installed.. Sometimes you dont need as much advice as reasurace that you are on the right track.. I will try the six inch.. I hope it will draft well enough, the stove is in the basement and I have a lot of chimney height working for me.. I will know if it's going to work soon enough.. It has still been nice and warm here in Salmon, Idaho.. I may need to order a new catalytic combustor thermostat as the one I have is a little rusted and doesnt look like its in too good of working shape.. I wont know that until I start my first fire though... Is it pretty easy to replace these.. Do they just screw in and out..

Thanks for all the help, I ordered the combustor from a1 and it said that it comes witht he gasket installed.. Sometimes you dont need as much advice as reasurace that you are on the right track.. I will try the six inch.. I hope it will draft well enough, the stove is in the basement and I have a lot of chimney height working for me.. I will know if it's going to work soon enough.. It has still been nice and warm here in Salmon, Idaho.. I may need to order a new catalytic combustor thermostat as the one I have is a little rusted and doesnt look like its in too good of working shape.. I wont know that until I start my first fire though... Is it pretty easy to replace these.. Do they just screw in and out..
You may have a prob with smoke entering the room when you open the door to add wood,maybe not. That said the stove will prolly work fine necked down to 6 or maybe not. Good luck!

20140923_212017.jpg Well I got it all plumbed and cleaned up to my liking.. now im just waiting on a few parts and only time will tell.. here is a picture of the setup..

Looks great! Hope it works great for ya!
Are you replacing the door gasket? From the first pic you posted it looked like maybe it was leaking..can see some black at the top left.

Good eye on the possible leakage hotcoals.. It looks to be in good shape but I will put it through the dollar test.. hey deleeper you said you had one of these.. does the blower have a snap disk.. I just wanted to make sure the fan works but I think I will have to wait until I have a fire or find it and put a heat gun on it..

Yes, it does have the snap disk on the fan if I recall correctly. Been long enough I am not certain though. The manual should state whether it does or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.