New stove Venting questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhhamm

Dec 16, 2009
Utah
Well I broke down and finally bought a stove (Harman P68) I also bought my stove pipe at the same time. The dealer was out of stock on a few pieces so he said he would ship it to me. I had not noticed on the invoice that the 90 degree that would be on the bottom does not have a clean out on it. My last stove in my last house I installed a clean out tee on the stove is that not a common practice anymore? Or do I need to take it back and get a 90 with a clean out.

Thanks
MH

I take it you are going out and up or up and out? A T would be a good thing... if you are just going with a horizontal vent it wouldn't be needed IMHO.

burn what said:
..... I also bought my stove pipe at the same time........ I had not noticed on the invoice that the 90 degree that would be on the bottom does not have a clean out on it. My last stove in my last house I installed a clean out tee on the stove is that not a common practice anymore? Or do I need to take it back and get a 90 with a clean out.

Thanks
MH

You didn't say what brand or model of pellet pipe you have, but in the case of Simpson Duravent Pro, I don't think they even make a T without a cleanout cap.

Your dealer may just sold you the basic vent set-up suggested by Harman.
None of the basic installs show a Tee in the system UNLESS the upturn is
outside of the living space.
I guess their point is that if you can't get your brush into the venting, because of
the height of the clean out from the floor, there's no point in having a tee in there.
The centerline height of the exhaust pipe is at 10" from the floor & the bottom of the
Tee brings THAT down to about 6...
If you've got less than 10 feet of run, a one-piece flexible Rutland 3" brush will
reach everything you need to get at.
Just make sure you remove the ESP before start to ram that thing in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.