New Stove, when to clean the vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
Regency GF55. Bought this past November. Been running great. Wondering when I should clean the vent pipe for the first time. I have probably run around a ton of pellets through it since I got it. Suggestions on what I need to get to clean the vent pipe? The ash drawer hasn't even filled up yet but its close.

Hopefully, you're doing your weekly or at least bi-weekly cleans. Normally, the rule of thumb is to clean the exhaust system after 1 - 1 1/2 tons.

Many people use a regular pipe brush and vacuum, some use a LintEater & vacuum. If your exhaust has the capability, you should also do the leaf blower trick AFTER everything else is cleaned.

Yes I vacuum out the stove once or twice a week. My vent pipe should be relatively easy to clean. 4 feet of vertical pipe out of stove, 90 degree bend, and 3 feet straight out the wall to the cap. Can someone explain the leaf blower trick to me?

Do a search using just those terms....you'll see plenty of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.