1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New Stove, when to clean the vent?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by StormPanic, Jan 10, 2013.

1. StormPanic

StormPanic Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Regency GF55. Bought this past November. Been running great. Wondering when I should clean the vent pipe for the first time. I have probably run around a ton of pellets through it since I got it. Suggestions on what I need to get to clean the vent pipe? The ash drawer hasn't even filled up yet but its close.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Hopefully, you're doing your weekly or at least bi-weekly cleans. Normally, the rule of thumb is to clean the exhaust system after 1 - 1 1/2 tons.

Many people use a regular pipe brush and vacuum, some use a LintEater & vacuum. If your exhaust has the capability, you should also do the leaf blower trick AFTER everything else is cleaned.
  3. StormPanic

StormPanic Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Yes I vacuum out the stove once or twice a week. My vent pipe should be relatively easy to clean. 4 feet of vertical pipe out of stove, 90 degree bend, and 3 feet straight out the wall to the cap. Can someone explain the leaf blower trick to me?
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Do a search using just those terms....you'll see plenty of info.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The leaf blower trick.