New stove with angled flue collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoodsman

Oct 15, 2009
Eastern PA

I just purchased a new Hearthstone - Shelburne. All my prior stoves have had a heavy collar that the flue pipe fit over. This stove has an angled collar that can be flipped for either a top or rear exit. The design has the pipe fitting inside the collar versus over it. I was told this is so the creosote will run into the stove. I was not thrilled with this design when I looked at stoves. I also considered a Jotul F400 Castine stove and it also had the same design. Because the collar is angled the flue pipe only fits in about an inch and it is not as tight as I would like. If I press it down really hard I can get a fair seal and hopefully the screws will keep it tight. I am concerned about smoke leaching out during a cold startup until the draft takes over. Has anyone experienced any issues with these angled stove collars?

Attachments

• Shelburne.jpg
    Shelburne.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 219
Backwoodsman said:

I just purchased a new Hearthstone - Shelburne. All my prior stoves have had a heavy collar that the flue pipe fit over. This stove has an angled collar that can be flipped for either a top or rear exit. The design has the pipe fitting inside the collar versus over it. I was told this is so the creosote will run into the stove. I was not thrilled with this design when I looked at stoves. I also considered a Jotul F400 Castine stove and it also had the same design. Because the collar is angled the flue pipe only fits in about an inch and it is not as tight as I would like. If I press it down really hard I can get a fair seal and hopefully the screws will keep it tight. I am concerned about smoke leaching out during a cold startup until the draft takes over. Has anyone experienced any issues with these angled stove collars?

Lots of stoves are like this. Nothing to worry about. It works fine.

I hope you have a nice big stack of dry wood.

I like to fill the gaps with furnace cement for a good tight fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.