New Stove Yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilNoMore

Apr 13, 2008
Champlain Valley, NY
Just got our new stove installed yesterday. I went with a Hearthstone Shelburne in matte black and, after initially thinking I might regret it instead of a larger stove, now think it will work out well. After buying it I thought the door might be too small to load effectively and that the firebox also may be too small (I know, good thing to realize after buying it). But now that I've had a break in fire and have gotten to examine it more closely I really see no problem with loading it and the firebox size is no longer a concern. Great view of flame, great warrantee (not that I hope to make use of it) and got it from a dealer that was great to work with from the time I walked in until they installed it.

It did come with Excel pipe, a brand I was unfamiliar with. I researched it and it certainly seems to be a quality product that has increased in popularity recently. Anyone have any experience with it? We also put it up on a raised black and grey slate hearth with oak trim, looks really good which was the primary concern for the boss (wife). I'd like to get a second ash pan for it, just for changing it out convenience, I'm guessing I can order that through Hearthstone. There were limited reviews of the Shelburne available, so if anyone has any insight from experience please pass it along. Hopefully, this stove will work out well and after a season of use I can evaluate it more completely. I'll try to figure out how to post a picture of it.

That is a really nice stove. Enjoy!

I just bought a Shelbourne myself. It's not installed yet - waiting on hearth construction.
We really like the looks of it and the build quality seems to be top notch.
I'll get some pix going of the construction, as well as the stove.
Good luck with yours.

'Frank

I really think that people looking for a cast iron stove are missing a bet if they don't consider the Shelburne.

Attachments

• shelburne.jpg
    shelburne.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 702
Thanks for the comments. I tried to attach a picture here but I'm not sure if it worked. I'd love to see the construction of the hearth, as I'm sure others would as well.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 682
Here's two others. I still have to finish the trim around the walls and repair the floor from where a wall had been. If only I could teach the dog to fetch wood in January.

Attachments

• Library - 1937.jpg
    Library - 1937.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 634
  • Library - 1930.jpg
    Library - 1930.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 663
I strongly considered the Hearthstone cast iron stoves. They look great, have a nice design and they have a similar tough enamel like the Jotuls (maybe the same process or factory?). Hope both of you keep us posted during the heating season with regular reports on how the stove is working for you.

Very nice looking stove and hearth pad! I'm sure they'll both serve you well.

Outstanding! And a nice looking stove/install and dog to boot! You will be one of the warm houses come winter time. Expect more visiting traffic than last year, thats all I can tell ya.

A very handsome stove and installation. Nicely done. Enjoy! Rick

That looks great, nice set up! lol .............. looks like the dog has already taken up his position! Think he is ready for the fire to begin!

Nice looking stove and install. Now the wait begins. :)

I didn't know my dog would be so popular, but yeah, I think he will somehow end up spending most of his sleeping time near the stove. Went to the stove shop today and the guy said they sold over 40 stoves two Saturdays ago, so I be there will be a few more Shelburnes out there soon.

Anyone have good idea on what kind of material to use to cover wood piles? I was going to look for some old metal roofing but haven't come across any yet. Pass along any suggestions.

Hey, OilNoMore...
<>It did come with Excel pipe, a brand I was unfamiliar with. I researched it and it certainly seems to be a quality product that has increased in popularity recently. Anyone have any experience with it?<>

We've been installing Excel venting on Wood & Pellet for about 4 years now & other than some factory mismarked items, it's a great product.
The Class A & Double Wall (Ultra-Black) connector pipe both have a lifetime warranty for replacement...
The 3" & 4" pellet vent is outstanding & doesn't leak due to the RTV gaskets in the pipe sections...
It's a tad more costly than most of the venting out there, but we've gotten no complaints to date...
HTH

The Shelburne was actually on my short list of stoves that I was considering . . . in the end I picked the Oslo. Very sharp looking stove and nice install.

Status
Not open for further replies.