New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhelmes

Dec 26, 2012
Hello, I am currently looking into a new woodstove for my house. I live near Ottawa Canada .We use wood as a primary heater in a small bungalow. The stove is located in the uninsulated empty basement of a well insulated bungalow. The combined sq feet amount to a little under 2000 Sq feet. Insulating the basement is currently not on the agenda and am replacing the current stove as the door no longer appears to be sealing properly regardless of new gaskets and Its really just a big old cast iron box.

I really like the idea of the super 27, but money is tight and I cant help but find myself drawn to the true north.

I don't mind throwing on a sweater at all but I was just wondering if the truenorth would be likely to pull it off in this case. If the members here have any other sugestions I would be happy to hear them.

I live near Ottawa Canada... The stove is located in the uninsulated empty basement of a well insulated bungalow. The combined sq feet amount to a little under 2000 Sq feet. Insulating the basement is currently not on the agenda... really like the idea of the super 27, but money is tight and I cant help but find myself drawn to the true north.

Both stoves are too small for your needs.

Reactions: raybonz
Ok. Apart from the PE summit, is there a bare bones stove that would be worth looking at? I'm looking for a heater and not something pretty.

This is the same as the Englander 30NC (do a search on here, tons of good feedback on these stoves) http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/1/HeatingAirConditioning/WoodStoves/PRD~0642845P/Timber Ridge Wood Stove, 2200 sq. ft (E.P.A.).jsp?locale=en

Just came off the sale price of $950, will probably come up again in the next couple weeks (can sign up on the website and they'll notify you the next time it comes on sale). Plus, you can use up that Canadian Tire money you've been saving for the past couple years

I think even the 30NC will be challenged with that much uninsulated space to heat but it will work OK if you insulate your basement..

Ray

As long as the basement is uninsulated about 30% of the heat made by any stove is going to be wasted. That can get costly. If this is not going to be fixed, look at a ~3 cu ft stove like the Englander 30NC, Drolet Myriad, Napoleon 1900, Osburn 2400, etc.

Great! This brings to mind another question though. If I turn around and insulate the basement in a couple of years, will these bigger stoves be too much?

Great! This brings to mind another question though. If I turn around and insulate the basement in a couple of years, will these bigger stoves be too much?
No.

You were completely underestimating your needs with your original stove list. If you insulate the hell out of your basement, the stove will be a little bit oversized. Which is just fine.

That depends on how hard you have to push the big stove.. They will probably be just fine with that many sq. ft.

Ray

Well, since the ball is rolling. Is there much of a difference in wood consumption between the PE or some of the more expensive models and say the Timber Ridge, and some of the less expensicve models. I understand that ultimately I need to insulate the basement but it's just not possible at the moment.

This is great, thanks guys. It looks like the Drolet Austral or maybe the HT2000 are what I want.

How is the heat getting from the basement to upstairs? How well has this worked so far with the old stove?

The stairs were at the opposite end of the basement as the stove. This seemed to draw the heat across the basement to the stairs. The heat just raidated through the floor, with the living room being directly over the stove and the kitchen being at the top of the stairs.

The house has always been easy to heat. Previous to the cast iron ordeal I heated with an older Wood Chief and rarely used more than 3 full cords a winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.