new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
i am looking for help on choosing the correct stove , my house is about 2ooo sq ft, but stove is gonna go in the family room down stairs, basically i am looking for suggestions as to which company of stoves would be the best , i am gonna spend up to 800 dollars , could anyone point me in the correct direction?

For a really good stove you might want to revise your estimate of cost. There are many and you will get many suggestions from others but most of the good stoves will be quite a bit more than what you might be willing to spend. You can even do a Google search for woodstoves. Also try www.woodstove.com if you are interested in a really nice soapstove stove. Hearth also makes a soapstone stove. Then there are cast stoves and steel stoves. Much depends upon your budget and how much heat you want that stove to deliver. Get a good one so you won't be disappointed in what you buy. It's late after the stove is installed and you find you wish you'd gone another way.

How large is the family room? Is this a split level where the heat can rise into other rooms easily? What is the stove going to tie into for a flue?

$800 is low-end. There won't be a lot of choices in this price range. Englander, Drolet and Century have stoves below $1000.

How far from Winnipeg are you?
There are a few choices of stove for <$800.00 CAD out here.
May be worth the trip, if you are in N. MN.

Will you need to do some chimney work? That can be more than the stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.