new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colestarkey26

May 12, 2014
Burgettstown pa
I am cutting out an old heatilator insert and I should be able to fit a large insert. I am on a tight budget i would like to stay under 1500. I am overwhelmed with the choices if anyone have any good sugggestions i would appreciate it.

what do you mean you are cutting out an insert? Inserts just slide in are you referring to a metal firebox of a zero clearance unit or what?

I'd remove everything and put in a freestander. I've done it and many others have as well.

My understanding is that as soon as you start modifying the basic structure of the ZC fireplace, it loses its UL 127 rating and is not qualified to receive an insert. All that is allowed is the removal of the doors and damper. Regardless, the budget is very tight to do a proper install. An insert must have a stainless liner.

How tall is the chimney and what insert is being considered?

Reactions: jotulguy
Currently the doors are off and the only damper is the one on top of the chimney. All I want to cut out is enough to slip the liner in and the slanted area in the back if that's legit I'm not really sure.

Do you know what Heatilator model this is? I'm wondering if it is a masonry form or a true ZC insert?

is this inside a masonry structure feeding into a masonry fireplace?

This is what is left

Attachments

• 1402625734919.jpg
    1402625734919.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 159
What did you do to that poor fireplace lol.

Well I just bought the house and the guy that built the house was somewhat of a hack to say the least so I'm trying to get rid of the Brady bunch look and do things right

Well as long as there are no combustibles around that which it doesn't look like there is and you rebuild it right there is no reason you cant drop a liner and slide an insert in there. But $1500 is that for the stove and liner if so good luck.

you need a stainless liner i feel it should be insulated some here will tell you it doesn't but there are many good reasons too insulate stated many times here. What do you mean by double lined?

There is no need for that just wrap the liner with foil faced insulation and the stainless mesh.

That looks like a masonry form. If so, I believe it's safe to open the slope for the liner.
The two layers of stainless with insulation between
That sounds like class A which is not liner and not appropriate for this installation unless you are referring to DuraLiner or a similar product. Do you know what the ID of the chimney is?

I thought he was referring to the preinsulated flex liners a few companies have started to make now but not sure. But regardless there should be plenty of room to just use insulation wrap with no issues

Any recommendation depends on the dimension fireplace cavity that the insert is going into and how large an area is being heated. What are the fireplace dimensions HWD, front and back?

Oy, I'm concerned whether that is even a legal fireplace anymore with the Heatilator form removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.