New stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougfir

Sep 12, 2015
Bozeman, MT
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a new stove. I currently have a 40 year old Yellowstone which I want to move to my shop. My house is 3400 sq ft and I burn primarily pine and fir. I would like to spend less than $1500. Wood is my secondary heat source in my basement. I am leaning toward the Vogelzang Ponderosa. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Before going for the Ponderosa I would highly recommend to read about owners' experiences here in the forum. Some other large, efficient and reliable stoves in that price range, that may be able to heat a large part of the space you have, are the Englander 30NC and the Drolet Myriad/Baltic/Legend or HT2000. The 30NC needs a hearth with a r-value of 1.5 while the Drolets are ember protection only. What kind of flue do you have? They need a 6" chimney.

Be aware that any modern EPA-approved stove needs dry wood with a moisture content of less than 20%. Pine and fir should dry relatively quickly. Still, they should be cut, split and stacked with lots of sun and wind exposure (top-covered) at least in the early spring. If you can give them a full one to two years it will be even better.

I agree with Grisu. I was thinking of starting a thread on my fir that I bucked up in February. Its now at 19%, another year would be even better but it will go in the stove this year.

I agree with Grisu. I was thinking of starting a thread on my fir that I bucked up in February. Its now at 19%, another year would be even better but it will go in the stove this year.

Thanks. Since I asked the question I have been reading on the forum. Looks like there are some better options.
Welcome to the forum!

Before going for the Ponderosa I would highly recommend to read about owners' experiences here in the forum. Some other large, efficient and reliable stoves in that price range, that may be able to heat a large part of the space you have, are the Englander 30NC and the Drolet Myriad/Baltic/Legend or HT2000. The 30NC needs a hearth with a r-value of 1.5 while the Drolets are ember protection only. What kind of flue do you have? They need a 6" chimney.

Be aware that any modern EPA-approved stove needs dry wood with a moisture content of less than 20%. Pine and fir should dry relatively quickly. Still, they should be cut, split and stacked with lots of sun and wind exposure (top-covered) at least in the early spring. If you can give them a full one to two years it will be even better.

Thanks. Looks like there may be some better options. My hearth is slate tile installed directly on concrete. That should work? I have a 6" flue.

My hearth is slate tile installed directly on concrete.

Yes, that should be no problem with any stove since there are no combustibles. Look at those I mentioned and pick the one you like more. Plus, keep reading in the forum on how to run an EPA-approved stove. It's different than what you may be used to from your old Yellowstone.

I'd be taking a good look at the Englander 30NC if it were me. Just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.