new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
I am going to build a new house for my family. It is going to be a very open floor plan so it will heat well with a wood stove. I have a blaze king classic now and love it. I am looking for a similar performing stove to sit in the middle of a big room. Any recomendations on a efficiant heat monster that looks good from all sides?

The BK King? Warm looks better than cold.

The BlazeKing King/classis size also comes in the Ultra and Parlour model. If you are changing stoves/going new for your new home, thats all I would change. Have a look at the Ultra and Parlour style. Same style in the large and small units. Internal workings are still the reliable the same. Other than gold... you can get pewter/satin or cast black trim on the doors. http://www.blazeking.com/wood-stoves.html
N of 60

If starting from scratch, it might also be worth looking at doing a Masonry Heater (do a search for details on them) - it is an approach that is not readily done as a retrofit to an existing structure, but is reportedly a very efficient method, and one that is a perfect fit for what you are describing as your plan... (open w/ a heater in the center...)

Gooserider

I'd also look into a MH. If you want to go with a stove, I don't think you're going to find much that will outperform your BKK. The Parlor model looks a lot nicer (IMO) than the Classic. From all sides? The back of the BKK isn't all that pretty (which is true of most stoves)... but I guess you could place two BKK Parlors back to back and that would throw some serious heat and take care of the ugly azz issue. :cheese:

The only other stove you might want to look into is the HS EQ. It looks nicer than the BKK, but I wouldn't bet on it matching the overall performance of the BKK.

i agree, either the equinox or the mansfield by hearthstone, very impressive units from any angle in the room... also the mansfield model recently retested and NOW ALSO qualifies for the 30% tax credit!!!

summit said:
...also the mansfield model recently retested and NOW ALSO qualifies for the 30% tax credit!!!

Sorry to hear that. I was waiting for the local shop to have to try to unload that Mansfield on the floor for the last three years. :mad:

A couple other monster stoves are the Buck 91 with its huge 4.4 cu ft firebox and Country Flames BBF, but as far as all around looks go I don't think you could beat the equinox.

Another King it is. I am going to put in a masonry heater in the future if I make enough. The masonry heater I like is going to run 15-20k. I love the looks of the hearthstone equinox and it would probably work fine. However I know the BK works wonderfully and it quite a bit less money.

wolfkiller said:
Another King it is. I am going to put in a masonry heater in the future if I make enough. The masonry heater I like is going to run 15-20k. I love the looks of the hearthstone equinox and it would probably work fine. However I know the BK works wonderfully and it quite a bit less money.

If you are going to put in an MH at some later date, be sure to plan for it, and put all the needed support structures into your foundation / slab... One of the biggest reasons it is so difficult to retrofit a masonry unit is that they are HEAVY and it can be a real challenge to put the needed footings and load support into place later... Also if you are building a multi-floor house, you need to think about where your load bearing members will be, and make sure that they aren't running through the areas where the MH will want to go.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
wolfkiller said:

If you are going to put in an MH at some later date, be sure to plan for it, and put all the needed support structures into your foundation / slab... One of the biggest reasons it is so difficult to retrofit a masonry unit is that they are HEAVY and it can be a real challenge to put the needed footings and load support into place later... Also if you are building a multi-floor house, you need to think about where your load bearing members will be, and make sure that they aren't running through the areas where the MH will want to go.

Gooserider

Thanks. I got that covered. I build for a living. I have talked with a local mason who has built a lot af masonry heaters about what he likes to see for structure underneath. The MH pretty much gets its oun foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.