New stove-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
Maine
Hi all! I just started with a new stove (Quad CB1200). Still tweaking it! Stove in an insulated basement and putting the thermostat on 90 I cannot get the room temp over 70.....
Could be that it is in a basement but 1st floor wasn't an option.

Anyway just wanted to say hi!

And Hello to you. Welcome to the forums.

Yes the basement install is the issue, Hard to circulate the air to were you need it. I will bet you are sweating in the basemant.

Can you add floor vents? And are you leaving the basement door open?

jay

Beaubythestove said:
Hi all! I just started with a new stove (Quad CB1200). Still tweaking it! Stove in an insulated basement and putting the thermostat on 90 I cannot get the room temp over 70.....
Could be that it is in a basement but 1st floor wasn't an option....

Not sure what you meant...are you saying the 1st floor, or the basement won't get over 70 degrees?? If it's the basement, that stove should burn you out of there (unless it's a HUGE finished basement).

If your talking about the 1st floor above the stove, then I understand. As much as it would seem that the heat should rise up to heat upper floor, most of the time it won't.

These are basically space heaters...put them in the room (area) that you want to heat the most.

No I was talking the basement. It is only 24x36 and is insulated. T-stat is 5 feet from the stove and will not move past 70-72, even when I push it to 90.

Beaubythestove said:
No I was talking the basement. It is only 24x36 and is insulated. T-stat is 5 feet from the stove and will not move past 70-72, even when I push it to 90.

Well, there is something not right....that stove on the conservative side should heat 2000sq. ft EASILY, especially a finished & insulated basement.

I would, however, move the stat farther away from the stove. 15-20 ft should do. Who did the install?

You may need to circulate the air more. I have a floor fan 12" on low facing the stove 4 feet or so away. Mixes the room air a tad more. This tends to pull the cooler air to the stove and helps distribute the hotter Upper level air.

Worth a try.

Do you have a way to measure the air temp coming out of the heat exchanger? Just for kicks? I just did it on my Europa and it was about 290 degrees. If your running a low air temp coming out of those tubes, maybe the settings arent right. Because most pellet stoves should be able to heat 900 sf pretty easily. Also, if you have a lot of places air can get to the upstairs, you may be sending heat that way without realizing it. Uninsulated foors, exisiting hot air furnace running, stairs open, etc

Beaubythestove said:

What setting you running it on, low , medium or high. Fan on low or high.

Thanks everyone!

Answers:

-A licensed installer installed the stove

-I'll try a fan that is an easy experiment

-I'll try and figure out how to measure temp

-I'm running both on high

Really helpful board thanks everyone. I'll get to work and report back!

The fan should be blowing very warm air out the front of the stove and into the room?
Check to be sure the fan is actually running. I know it sounds silly to ask but it wouldn`t be the first time we`ve come across a stuck fan .

Gio said:
.....Check to be sure the fan is actually running. I know it sounds silly to ask but it wouldn`t be the first time we`ve come across a stuck fan .

Absolutely correct Gio....that just happened to another member a few days ago. That CB 1200, running on High heat and High fan, should be ROASTING that 900 sq. ft room out!!!! :ahhh:

Beaubythe stove, do you actually hear and feel air blowing out of the front of the stove above the door?

Beaubythestove said:
I do. Low setting 2-3" blast of air and high setting about 8-9" out. I have been cleaning once a day spic and span.

Hmmmm...that still doesn't seem right. On med-Lo on my stove, I can feel the heated air blowing 3-4 FEET from the stove. On high, it's even farther away.

Status
Not open for further replies.