New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusMac

Jul 28, 2010
Scotland
We made a purchase, after weeks of confusion as to what we need, and sorry for annoying several people on this forum by putting on various topics about the shortlist (I appologise for being vein, but I was hoping the more I asked then the more information I would get !!).

Initially we looked at the Jotuls 274 and 250.
The 250 which has a top exit flue only, wouldnt fit in, so that prevented us from buying this stove.
The 274 was the next choice, but the output was to great.
Being a Jotul man I wasnt so happy that there wasnt a suitable Jotul for us.

So we made our descision and purchased a Morso 8140, as pictured below.
As autumn came early to this part of Scotland, we have been using the stove for 3 weeks.
It is efficient, very clean burning, the burn box is large (by European standards (not American)) and the glass never soots up. I know the Jotuls would be the same performers.
I m very happy this Morso is every bit as good a Jotul.
21mr9cj.jpg

i4ef4n.jpg

2roj8kj.gif

Should have tidied up all the kids toys before taking photos!!
nxq35.gif

Wow, that is a cool (I mean "hot") modern-looking stove you have there!!!
Is it available only in Europe?? I'll have to check on the Morso site...
What kind of burn times do you get with it??

Congratulations Angus. It looks great.

Come clean now . . . that's really your work bench on the side of the woodstove. ;)

Nice looking stove . . . a bit modern for my tastes . . . but if I was to like modern-looking woodstoves I would say this would be in the running.

Congrats on the new stove. Looks like you have a great view of the fire with that Morso. What kind of fire box material is inside there? Is that your basic fire brick or something more heavy duty?

It's lined with skamol, I would assume.

Looks great, Angus, and congratulations. We've had our Morso fired up a few times this week and those little stoves can sure put out the heat!

That looks great Angus. Enjoy that stove.

BTW: In that first pic, who are you getting ready to strangle? :lol:

real nice looking stove, i bet that we will see more of that style here!

Nice going, Angus! Very nice looking stove, especially the way your hearth is set up. That baby looks like it really cranks out some heat.

How far up in Scotland are you anyway?

wendell said:
It's lined with skamol, I would assume.

Looks great, Angus, and congratulations. We've had our Morso fired up a few times this week and those little stoves can sure put out the heat!
Hi Wendell, my Morso buddy.
Its vermiculite, Morso (aswell as Jotul) are starting to use it in their burnbox instead of Cast, its much lighter, but more resistant, will not buckle or crack and helps with the internal heat retention to make a cleaner fire.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Wow, that is a cool (I mean "hot") modern-looking stove you have there!!!
Is it available only in Europe?? I'll have to check on the Morso site...
What kind of burn times do you get with it??
Thanks Rob, it is now available in the US and Canada, I checked the website.
We get enough embers in the fire each morning to just put a log on and away shes goes.
We only burn one log at a time as its so efficient and just throws out the heat., very economical with the wood!

BrotherBart said:

;-)
Thats actually my twin brother, we are identical, except he wears baseball caps and I m more handsome, though I m sure he would tell you differantly !!

Battenkiller said:
Nice going, Angus! Very nice looking stove, especially the way your hearth is set up. That baby looks like it really cranks out some heat.

How far up in Scotland are you anyway?
Thanks Battenkiller. It really cranks out the heat, its also a convector and the heat travels through the house more. After the kids are in bed we usually fall asleep fireside.
The view of the fire is tremendous, and from early on in the burn, we can see the waste smoke being circulated and re-ignited, very enviromentally friendly.

We are in Angus county (named after me :) ) it is about half way up the east coast. Scotland is a small country, we are 2 hours North from the capitol, Edinburgh, and 1 hour south of Aberdeen

mainemaul said:
real nice looking stove, i bet that we will see more of that style here!
Its a lovely stove Mainemaul, and I think Morso more than anyone is trying to bring this to the US market.

Clean, efficient and economical, cant ask for more than that.

Actually, my mother put a log in yesterday without opening the air vent (note, only one air vent, should be simple for mothers )and the glass tarred up, so I came back from work, opened the vent, burnt it hot and within 40 minutes the glass had cleaned with the hot airwash, remarkable

Good looking stove. Enjoy the heat!

Nice stove!

BrotherBart said:

Ahhh BEAT me to it

Status
Not open for further replies.