New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
Having our first wood burning stove put in. I've had plenty of fireplaces over the years and can't think of when we've been without some kind of burning utensil in our house since I was born. But this is my first stove. It is a as described in my signature, a Pacific Energy Spectrum. Were excited! It's Coffee Bean Brown in color with gold trivet & door. Hope we don't have any snags. The weather seems to be cooperative today. Any suggestions as to what to watch out for...their supposed to start at 0930 central time...US.

How much of an installation are they doing? New chimney? existing chimney?

Congrats on the stove by the way. That PE is a great one and you got it in an awesome color.

@ Franks...their putting in a new chimney system. I have a relatively new home (5 years) with a 9/12 pitch roof. I don't know how the guys get up on such a steep roof. I did one year to put up Christmas lights and made it about 5 feet and shimmied right back down. Yeah it's funny how a person finally ends up with a specific stove. Location...quality...looks...service...cost...and what's really benefitted me is my wife haha.

Congrats on the new stove enjoy.

Thanx Corey...I don't let on to my wife that I'm like a kid in a candy store! lol This is one of those energy saving needs!

Congratulations. The Spectrum is a great stove. You're going to love it. If the installers are pros, they will be neat, clean and quick. They should honor or exceed all required clearances for the chimney and connector. If this is a straight up installation, they should vacuum out any sawdust or scraps around the top of the support box, before installing the attic insulation shield. The installation should be neat and shipshape. The connector should have 3 screws per pipe joint.

Ok Begreen...I appreciate that...it's because of you...all the others & precaud that influenced my thinking.... He probably still hates me haha. Is that mandatory...3 screws per joint? Or is that just a nice to do thing...I do believe this is SS double walled ICC?

Screwing the connector joints together is mandatory. Each pipe section comes with the screws and it should have the outside holes predrilled.

Even the ones with screw together locks on them?

Well it must be Begreen...I did'nt say anything and they screwed them joints together. They did a great job...having my second break in fire...even tho it does'nt specifically state you have to with this stove. I'm doing it anyways. It's beautiful in the dark...especially with the secondaries burning.

Enjoy the light show and warmth. This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Absolutely...now to train my wife & daughter.....Yes! BTW...they dragged a mattress in the room with the stove & they slept in there...Now they love me again haha

Congrats on the new stove!

Ray

neumsky said:
Absolutely...now to train my wife & daughter.....Yes! BTW...they dragged a mattress in the room with the stove & they slept in there...Now they love me again haha

Sounds like you're golden... until summer. LOL :coolsmile: Better get working on that pizza oven by the pool.

Ready for summer?

Attachments

• pe spectrum outside.jpg
    pe spectrum outside.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 290
Brother Bart, That is priceless!!! Some times I wonder if the neighbors think I'm a pyromaniac? I burn wood inside till the 82nd of March, then go outside and smoke meat till October.

RNLA...I'm the same way...I just don't smoke meats with a woodburning stove haha. Also to you guy's that are being funny about being ready for summer...I think it's funny too...but did get a ric of all Oak today for 50 dollars...all split.

neumsky said:
I just don't smoke meats with a woodburning stove haha.

I do. Aluminum broiling pans fit perfectly in the drawers.

Attachments

• brownie smoker.jpg
    brownie smoker.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 240
RNLA said:
Brother Bart, That is priceless!!! Some times I wonder if the neighbors think I'm a pyromaniac? I burn wood inside till the 82nd of March, then go outside and smoke meat till October.

You burn until mid-May in Washington? Are you in high elevation? Didn't think Washington's winters were that long.

RNLA said:

I don't have to wonder if the neighbors think I am a pyro. There is no doubt in any ones mind.

BrowningBAR said:
You burn until mid-May in Washington? Are you in high elevation? Didn't think Washington's winters were that long.

I have burned until the end of May here in the tropics 45 miles from the other Washington.

neumsky said:

Who's training who?

BrowningBAR said:
RNLA said:

Our winters aren't long but our spring sure is. Lasts from March through May. And some years it seems to last til mid-July.

Status
Not open for further replies.