New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepp31

Oct 9, 2008
Central IL
I am going to put in a 1000sq ft modular with an open floor plan on a full basement. The stove i want is an Olympic Avalon. I have used this stove in my last house and loved it. Do you think it will be too big? I want a stove that i can put big pieces of wood in and the Olympic is a 3.2 cu ft stove. I will be placing stove on main floor and not in the basement.

That's a lot of stove for 1000 square ft. Is the home insulated ? You could probably go down In size a bit and still have extra stove for heat. On the flip side if you go bigger you can run smaller fires then crank it up when you need it.

Pete

I have a lopi liberty which is basically the olympic with a different door and I heat 2400sqft and it keeps my house between 80 and 90 but its usually in the upper limit of those two numbers as a matter of fact its 38 outside and 85 in here with only two splits in the stove, so if you like it hottt then I would say go for it.

What's the basement going to be like and used for?

pen

Agreed, the Rainier would be a strong stove for 1000 sq ft.. The Olympic would be overkill. I would stick with a 2 cu ft stove. If you want long burn times get a cat or maybe a PE Spectrum?

I am going to put in a 1000sq ft modular with an open floor plan on a full basement. The stove i want is an Olympic Avalon. I have used this stove in my last house and loved it. Do you think it will be too big? I want a stove that i can put big pieces of wood in and the Olympic is a 3.2 cu ft stove. I will be placing stove on main floor and not in the basement.

I'm assuming you want the Olympic for the long burn times? How about the Blaze King Princes insert? 2.8 cu ft with good temp controls seems like a good solution.

Way overkill. My Dad has a US Stove 2000 (2cuft firebox) in a 1300 sqft modular, no basement. His house is so tight that the stove is way overkill. He can't burn wood unless it's below 40 or it's high eighty's in his house and the stove room is unbearable. Even then, he is burning very small fires and not running the stove as efficiently as it should run. You need the low burn rates that a cat stove can provide in this type of environment. Personnally, I'd go for a Wood Stock Keystone, Buck Model 20, or a Blaze King Sirocco or Chinook 20.

Give Woodstock a call. Great company that moves a great stove. Even if you choose not to buy from them, I'm sure they will give you some pretty good insight into your heating needs. The current sale on the Keystone along with a six month money back guarantee that woodstock offers should push you in the right direction;)

Reactions: dafattkidd
I'm assuming you want the Olympic for the long burn times? How about the Blaze King Princes insert? 2.8 cu ft with good temp controls seems like a good solution.

I am wanting a large firebox so I don't have to cut shorter log lengths, any suggestions on finding a larger stove without it putting out massive amounts of heat?

I am wanting a large firebox so I don't have to cut shorter log lengths, any suggestions on finding a larger stove without it putting out massive amounts of heat?

You will need to go with a cat stove if those are your needs. What are your splits cut to right now?

The Blaze King Princess (2.8 cu ft) will fit 20"
I think Woodstock Progress (2.8 cu ft) will do 20-22" but it does not seem as controllable as the BK Princess and may pump out too much heat even on low heat..
The Vermont Castings Defiant (3.2 cu ft) fits 24" like the Olympic does, bit it isn't as controllable as the Progress or the Blaze King and will pump out too much heat.

If 20" splits works for you, the Princess is the way to go.

That is a short term need. A stove should be size correctly for the house, not the wood.

Hope you are decorating the house with palm trees and beach chairs cause it's gonna be steamy in that house!

I am thinking of going with a Hearthstone Heritage what do you guys think? I have never had a Soapstone stove before but have heard great things about them.

I am thinking of going with a Hearthstone Heritage what do you guys think? I have never had a Soapstone stove before but have heard great things about them.

Stone is very very nice and gives off a great soft heat. You really should check out woodstock soapstone if you have not all ready. They have a six month no question satisfaction guarentee and good customer service to boot.

Pete

thats a whole lot of stove for that house, regardless of the construction, large box means lots of heat. the olympic's 3.2 CF box would be a choice if you were trying to heat upstairs from the baement but having it upstairs? its gonna melt your shingles! 1K sq ft i would look at 1.8 to about 2.4 CF shop around for possible "long" or "wide" box for longer splits.

i think someone said it best above saying(paraphrased) the stove size not the log length is the key for enjoyable heating.

Stone is very very nice and gives off a great soft heat. You really should check out woodstock soapstone if you have not all ready. They have a six month no question satisfaction guarentee and good customer service to boot.

Pete

I agree with this. If you are going to buy a soapstone stove, I would go with the Fireview over the Heritage. It will heat as well, burn much longer, and, especially right now, is less expensive than the Heritage.

The Blaze King Princess is still an option. Most recommend that it will heat about 1,500 sq ft. Working with only 1,000 sq ft you should be able to get the really long burns.

The Blaze King Princess is still an option. Most recommend that it will heat about 1,500 sq ft. Working with only 1,000 sq ft you should be able to get the really long burns.

If you can deal with the "Ugly" it's the stove for you or one of the newer smaller offerings would do the trick just fine. My Princess easily heats my house(nearly 2K).

If I was heating 1K I could run this stove on 1 in any weather and easily get 24 hour burn times. I'm getting that right now with 30's at night and 40's during the day.

I had the heritage. I was happy with it, but my drafty farmhome was a little beyond it's limits. I have about 1900 square feet on one floor. You know, if you WANT the avalon the firebox may be right for you, but I really think you should stick it in the basement. There it will be heating 2000 square feet, assuming it's a full basement. But if you really want a stove on the main floor a you can find a stove with a 2 cu.ft. stove with an adequate door to accommodate your splits. I put some gnarly crap in my heritage but once in awhile I had to load it from the front. I hear some awesome reviews about cat stoves. Talk to the folks at Woodstock if you like soapstone. I read posts here from some pretty happy customers on this site and I understand Woodstock has a satisfaction guarantee. I have my reasons fro staying with Hearthstone, but the cat folks out here have good points to make... and they appear to be satisfied customers.

...or I hope your modular has plenty of windows.

thanks for the advice ditchrider, I have decided to go with the Hearthstone Heritage. I have a dealer that is about an hour away that will also do the install. I like the fact that it says stove will take 21 inch splits. I hope that is the case! lol

thanks for the advice ditchrider, I have decided to go with the Hearthstone Heritage. I have a dealer that is about an hour away that will also do the install. I like the fact that it says stove will take 21 inch splits. I hope that is the case! lol
Oh yes it will. But be aware of the diameters. If they get too big there's only room for a couple on the reload and that may limit your burn time. The Heritage is not really an effective front loader, ash spillage is an issue. I'm a 24/7 burner in the winter, but after a long week of work I enjoy sleeping late on Sundays once in awhile. Sometimes the coals would die in that event. I also normally eat lunch at home to re-load. And it takes 24/7 burning to really appreciate the Heritage and the soapstone effect. If you need better burn time you may want to consider the Woodstock line, no kidding.

If you are convinced you want the Heritage, I'll still say it's a good stove. But speaking from experience, ask your dealer what his policy is if you find out it isn't right for your needs. I lucked out with an awesome dealer that worked with me. But Hearthstone is a commitment, Woodstock offers a satisfaction guarantee.

Good luck shopping.

if i dont burn 24/7 will soapstone still work as a after work and weekend stove? i want the stove to be able to run all night with a full load. i probably am spoiled by the big firebox i had with the Olympic. This stove will be used a lot just not 24/7 because of having to work during the day.

if i dont burn 24/7 will soapstone still work as a after work and weekend stove? i want the stove to be able to run all night with a full load. i probably am spoiled by the big firebox i had with the Olympic. This stove will be used a lot just not 24/7 because of having to work during the day.
Heat life is the bonus to soapstone. On days I didn't eat lunch it wasn't a big deal because Mr. Sun helps you out during the day, but the stove was normally still warm when I got in from work... much moreso than my steel Earthstove of the similar size. I'd still recommend it for 14-18 hour attendance. If you limit size you limit burn time. That's why I encourage you to at least ask about Woodstock... AND talk to your Hearthstone dealer about satisfaction.

If my home was only 1500 square feet, I wouldn't have considered the Mansfield. The Heritage was nearly enough for me at 1900, and it's likely what you are looking for. As I used the 2.3 cu.ft. firebox it burned everything I cut and split. And my wood is likely much like yours, sizewise. But in my experience, if I had your situation with 1000 square feet in Illinois, I would consider the Hearthstone Homestead or a 2 footer in the Woodstock line. But please understand - I really like the soapstone effect.

Some things to consider...
1) 10 degrees in Colorado is way different than 10 degrees in Illinois. You are a tougher man than I
2) Wood species in Illinois are higher quality than what I have available. Your wood is tougher than mine.(Hence, it burns longer)
3) I don't know about you, but I'm in the shoulder season. The NEED for a stove isn't today and I would take some time and ask questions. I'm burning tonight because I'm a diehard and I' really considering opening a window right now.
4) Your house is different than mine. It's likely more airtight, it IS smaller and you have a basement. I think a basement installation makes sense because you will essentially heat the floors of your true living space. Also, if the stove gets really cranked you have places to get rid of it without opening a window (i'm starting to drip with sweat right now.)

I think you are on the right track, but you have a lot of options and I don't want to appear as an opinionated Hearthstone woodchuck. I DO like my stove, but for reasons mentioned above, I'd take some time and investigate. It's likely you won't really be testing your decision until next November. Be happy, don't be sorry. It's a lot of money. Cat, non-cat, steel, cast, soapstone - it's a lot the same as should you buy a Husqvarna or a Stihl. There's a really good chance the stove you buy is very well built. But in the wrong application it may not be as effective as you intended.

If you can deal with the "Ugly" it's the stove for you or one of the newer smaller offerings would do the trick just fine. My Princess easily heats my house(nearly 2K).

If I was heating 1K I could run this stove on 1 in any weather and easily get 24 hour burn times. I'm getting that right now with 30's at night and 40's during the day.
What does the fire look like at "1"? Is it dark or does it still have some life to it? I'm thinking more in terms of low setting in shoulder seasons. I'd want my fire to look good on lower settings.

It is best to be a bit pragmatic about aesthetics. If you want a nice looking fire, but don't want to overheat, then build a small, hot fire and let it go out when the house is warmed up. By November you will be burning full tilt.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.