New Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starr-Point

Jan 24, 2006
Hi All - I'm the guy with the 115 year old antique coal stove. Turns out I also have a 115 year old fireplace in the living room that's never been used, has no hearth, but a brick firebox. At one time, on the same chimney in the basement, was a woodstove used for heat. Removed in early 1980s. But whoever had that stove put in also had the foresight to have the chimney lined with stainless steel.

I'd like to build a hearth and put a wood insert or stove in that living room space - just tie whatever vent it has to the existing ss liner. Although I have a coal stove, I'd prefer wood since I have a couple of acres of woods to clear (mostly beech, oak, and black walnut). The room is 20X12, so I don't need anything serious.

Any ideas, thoughts, cautions? Thanks!

Size of the firebox, picture of the hearth. This will determine what size insert you can put in. Pacific Energy makes some nice ones. Sounds very reasonable, good luck.

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.