New stoves first cat cleaning????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So I have my new Woodstock Keystone that I have been using for about a month or so - no issues and burns great. My question is should I be taking the cat out soon for cleaning or wait until end of season?? What are things I should look for telling me I have a dirty cat etc

kayakkeith said:
So I have my new Woodstock Keystone that I have been using for about a month or so - no issues and burns great. My question is should I be taking the cat out soon for cleaning or wait until end of season?? What are things I should look for telling me I have a dirty cat etc

1. I believe your manual will state how often to check (I think it says once a month on the Woodstock manuals, I could be wrong)
2. A 'dirty' will have clogged up chambers (the honeycomb things). A damage cat could have some warping.

I would just drop the combustor scoop and brush off the cat if it has any fly ash about once every cord of wood or so, then at the end of the season you can inspect everything else by the rear access and sweep the chimney.

I agree with Todd. With our Fireview we've found we clean it once about mid-winter and again after the final spring burn.

Thnaks - I did the from the inside clean and basically it looked clean - not really any ash or anything. Definitly not any gunk or stuff. This is easier then taking the whole thing out as I have a heat sheild ininstalled on the back and would have to take that off to get in there. Since this was really easy I probably will at least check it once a month to see what it looks like

One of the advantages of the Keystone is the visibility of the cat through the glass. Mine is cherry red right now and looks clean as a whistle.

I haven't touched mine - yet.

Once I hit the 30ish day mark, I plan on cleaning the chimney, stove pipe and will check the cat.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.