New Supreme Volcano insert! Preparing for installation...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azthermal1

Nov 18, 2014
MA
Hi all! Been lurking and reading and searching on the forum. All great info.

First, the facts...

New Supreme Volcano insert
2 story colonial ~25 ft interior chimney

Yep, a liner question. I would prefer to have an insulated liner. My flue is approximately 7 1/4" x 11" ish. This was a measurement taken by me shimmying up past the damper handle and using outstretched arms and a measuring tape. Yes, a picture circulated on facebook of that one....

Insert requires a 6" liner. With my dimensions, insulated liner won't work.
I have read about ovalizing and knocking out the tiles....

What I would prefer to do is move down to a 5.5" insulated liner.

The question... In my situation, how would this downsizing effect performance?

Thanks!
Amanda

Probably would work ok.

5.5" would probably work and ovalizing probably will to but i feel break out in many cases is the right option. I would have to hear more about your situation though to make a good call. I dont like to break out liners in a fireplace unless they are already comprised or there is no other option.

Chimney is in good condition. This flue hasn't been used in the last 10 years. We had the whole thing cleaned and topped with a spark cage a few years ago.

What other type of info is needed?

Thanks
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.