new tarm trying to satisfy thermostat- problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmeister

Nov 2, 2008
lower ct. river
Stlii trying to dial in solo 30 boiler is up to temp but the main zone ( 1st floor of center chimney cape ) isn't satisfied going on 48 hrs only a couple of degrees off according to thermostat on 1st floor. Second floor zone is fine, aux. zone basement with modine satisfied. Tarm company says close ball valve upstream of termavor 1/2 way...... anyone else experiencing this problem? This learning curve thing sure is something to get use to.

IMO the ideal point to set the balancing valve is to close it as much as you can while still maintaining return water temp at 160 when the boiler is up to and maintaining operating temp.

If you regularly let your system or storage cool down substantially and/or let the boiler burnout and boiler temp cool down substantially, then you may want the balancing valve open somewhat more. "More open" will result in higher return water temp more quickly than "less open" in the early stages of boiler firing and reheating a cool system, but I think also will cycle somewhat more hot boiler water directly back to the boiler (less hot water to system) when the boiler is in operating range, which also may result in somewhat more boiler idling and somewhat less efficiency when the boiler is in its operating temp range.

If you are concerned about exactly where to set the balancing valve, then I think it is better to err on the side of a little more open rather than a little less open, as boiler protection resulting from keeping return water temp up close to 160 as much as possible is probably more important than trying to hit the exact setting for the balancing valve.

Other opinions?

Does the balancing valve effect the temps on the storage/output of the system. I thought it just controlled the return temp?? My learning curve keeps going,, and going and going....

I think the best answer is that the balancing valve together with the mixing valve (Termovar) cycles some boiler output directly back to the boiler, thus reducing the volume somewhat of boiler output going to the system, but also aiding in maintaining a higher boiler output temp into the system by maintaining a higher return temp to the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.