New timberline stove air wash size question…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clmuller

Feb 3, 2015
kalamazoo mi
Hello all!
Thank you for the add.
Can someone tell me the size of the air wash plate in their timberline TSF stove?
I just bought mine on CL and noticed the whole plate was missing? It looks to be 24 inches wide but i am not sure how long it is or how big the gap towards the front should be?
thanks in advance!
CLMULLER

I assume you mean the baffle plate? But maybe I am misunderstanding, let us know. I have one in my shop and it is a great stove......I love it, it is bullet proof.

Yes its just a plate on the top, that the heat goes around and out. the way I measured it I guessing its 14 by 23 5/8? how does that sound for size?

"Air wash" is the air intake across glass doors to keep the glass clean.

A baffle plate takes into consideration detrimental aspects such as flame impingement (the angle and height, quenching heat at flame tips vs. raising combustion zone temperature for a cleaner burn). A poorly designed baffle creates lower contact surface area of hot gasses in corners where movement becomes stagnet, lowering surface temperature in corners.
They not only change the direction of flow keeping hot gasses in the stove longer, and direct more heat to the stove top instead of the exhaust. The thickness and material determines temperature of plate allowing smoke particles to be burned that come in contact with it.

This thread will give you the basics of smoke space (size of exhaust travel space) and what it does. It depends on the chimney, not the stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ld-fisher-more-heat-less-smoke-under-25.74710

Do you have angle iron welded inside that sets the angle?

"Air wash" is the air intake across glass doors to keep the glass clean.

A baffle plate takes into consideration detrimental aspects such as flame impingement (the angle and height, quenching heat at flame tips vs. raising combustion zone temperature for a cleaner burn). A poorly designed baffle creates lower contact surface area of hot gasses in corners where movement becomes stagnet, lowering surface temperature in corners.
They not only change the direction of flow keeping hot gasses in the stove longer, and direct more heat to the stove top instead of the exhaust. The thickness and material determines temperature of plate allowing smoke particles to be burned that come in contact with it.

This thread will give you the basics of smoke space (size of exhaust travel space) and what it does. It depends on the chimney, not the stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ld-fisher-more-heat-less-smoke-under-25.74710

Do you have angle iron welded inside that sets the angle?
Thanks so much for detailed response!
Yes I have the angles and I left an opening of about 2 inches at the front of the baffle to top of stove for exhaust.
According to the calculations I can't be too far off….
I have only burned one cord so far and it is/was building creosol already. Since my stack temp was correct for the most part, I'm hoping the baffle plate will burn off some off whatever gases/smoke was causing it?
Thanks again,
CLMuller

It should help reduce smoke particles which is what sticks to the chimney flue walls. The temperature you're trying to obtain is above 250* f all the way to the top. That is the water vapor condensing point that can cause rapid creosote production. So the required stack temp varies with chimney diameter, indoor / outdoor chimney, masonry or insulated liner........ the easier it is to keep hot inside, the less heat you need to leave up. The operating tips in the Fisher Forum pertain to your stove as well. The builder was a Fisher licensed builder that made the adaptation of a Fisher and lost his license to build Fishers and went on to start Timberline. Cal Cotton and his wife are pictured in the Forum (and have an on-line presence). They are also mentioned in detail in The Fisher Stove Story. Good read that pertains to your stove as well.
Click on attachments tab for PDF of the scanned book
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/bob-fisher/

Status
Not open for further replies.