New tires? Or get chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I've been driving all winter in the woods, and it wasn't until recently that I had problems getting through. I think it was the thaw that changed the snow conditions from powdery and dry to crystally and wet. Then the crust on top doesn't help.

I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my Dakota Quad cab.

I'm wondering if Cooper ST or STT's would be a better choice for getting through deep snow and mud.

Or, maybe just get a set of chains to put on the tires.

What say you? Anyone have experience with Coopers vs. Destinations? Any reason chains would be a bad idea?

Chain that baby up! Just don't get over confident. When yur stuck with chains, your stuck!!

definitely chains. just gave away a set last fall....had them in 2 garage sales for $5. marked them down to $1 and couldn't even move them at that price

Even good tires can struggle in wet, heavy snow, unless you go with a mud tire, but still...go with chains!

Those STTs look like a pretty good AT/MT tire though.

My uncle had a bad experince with a set of Coopers, only story I have heard about them so it is enough to keep me from buying a set. As for tires or chains I guess it would depend on if it's time for new tires or not. If you still got mileage to be had out of the Firestones then I guess I would go with chains. If it's time for a new set of tires and you want to stay away from an MT then I would look at the BFG AT KOs or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. Just my two cents :)

OK. So I did a little looking around and I see there's more to chains than just buying a set.

I gather that you have to match them to your tire size. But then there's a zillion different brands and styles. I noticed some claim to be for use in mud. Is that what I'm looking for? What about 32#, 44#, 46# weights? Alloys? Diamond style?

Ugh I thought buying chains would be a matter of going to the auto-parts or TSC and getting a set. I didn't expect to have my head spin with all the variables. Is there a primer on chains out there? I don't trust the guy behind the counter in any of my local auto parts stores to know much.

I have purchased 3 sets of chains from tirechains.com and have been very happy. I don't go into the woods w/out them anymore (long story).

pen

Had destinations on the Jeep, then BFG AT KO's, and now it's on Cooper ST's. The Coopers win everywhere but road noise.
Chains on anything would beat them though.

Got the same kinda crusty slop, over Half frozen sandy muck on this side of the pond.
This time of year, getting a Tractor stuck is easy. Chains make getting stuck a little harder.LOL!!!

Had Coopers on My Dakota, Liked them. This fall I needed tires and went with Goodyear Wrangler's. Were $20 each cheaper, was surprised how much less I need 4 wheel drive in the snow. The Wranglers ride a lot nicer than the Coopers and are very quiet on the highway. When I first got them I double checked the inflation a few times thinking they were low but they weren't.
Hauled 4 or 5 full loads of firewood and they performed very well. Not as much "wandering" as the Coopers which were the equivalent of an 8 ply, "load range D"

Look for tires with small "sipes" or grooves, 1/16" wide, the more the better for snow. Big, deep lugs are for mud. I think it is hard to find a tire that is both good in mud and snow.
Can't comment on wear but so far they seem very good, Mileage bumped up a tiny but.

Not sure if you can get them in your size, mine are 235-15's

My Destinations ATs are good tires. However, I'm still learning at this off-road 4-wheel drive thing. In the past my wood gathering areas were easy to get in - just far away. Now I've got a place closer to home but worse road conditions.

Sounds like I'll go with chains.

A lot of times just a little planning will keep you out of trouble, especially with off roading. I have learned sometimes you have to get out and walk around a little to find the best way through, or decide it's not worth the chance.

Learning to read conditions takes time and comes with practice, do it enough and you will be fine. Tires and chains are only part of it.

Sometimes in the spring you will want to get out and back in the early morning, before the sun thaws the ground.

You should have chains anyway. Every vehicle of mine carries chains from November to March. I've got a set of really stout chain chains in my F350 right now. Two wheel drive is fine, 4 wheel drive gets you farther, but when you get stuck with 4wd you need plan C to get home. Those real chain chains are like big paddles and rolling with them feels like you'r'e running in a bulldozer. No slippage.

We don't get that light fluffy snow in Western WA, it's all havey concrete like slop that is slick. I have not but would certainly use chains in the mud if I needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.