New TLED from Philips creates 200 lumens/watt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy the 450 lumen bulbs from the FIRST robotics program, I really like the bulb and they use it as a fundraiser (and at $10 it is the same price or cheaper then the bulbs I can buy locally). They have 800+ lumen bulbs now but I find the 450 to be more then enough for most use cases as the light is directional. Good for pendant lights, porch lights, ceiling lights, etc. Not so good for omni-directional needs like table lamps. Have one that is on my porch ceiling (10') and does a decent job of lighting my 10x30' porch and part of my yard thanks to the directional nature.

I bought an LED for the front porch last year and I ended up returning it. I had got the highest power one that would fit in my lamp and it was much too dim. It make the 40w bulb I had in there seem like the sun.

I take it that they have worked out those issues??

I put all CFLs when bought this house in 2008, only ones I have replaced where on the back of the garage, they don't do so well with cold.

Interesting. I've replaced two CFLs in the house that are in the 3 year old range. The ones in my garage and front porch are still going strong.

I spoke too soon. Had one in the bathroom over the mirror crap out a few days ago.

I spoke too soon. Had one in the bathroom over the mirror crap out a few days ago.

Yeah, I have not had very good luck with lifespans of the CFL bulbs. I have a ceiling fan in my cabin with 4 CFLs with the small (candelabra style) sockets. 2 of 4 have been replaced...and lets face it, a weekend cabin with limited use of lighting (always outside). Not impressed. I know we are trying to move forward in the world of energy consumption, but I will guarantee that I have more out of pocket costs associated to lighting with the CFL's than I would have had using standard bulbs. I have two more at home that need replacement.

THese LEDs are getting better all the time. I bough a LED reef light for an aquarium. VERY VERY BRIGHT. I could use this thing to spot deer. ALso have a Very bright flashlight with 1 watt bulb. A 1 Watt LED light is VERY bright.

Yeah, I have not had very good luck with lifespans of the CFL bulbs. I have a ceiling fan in my cabin with 4 CFLs with the small (candelabra style) sockets. 2 of 4 have been replaced...and lets face it, a weekend cabin with limited use of lighting (always outside). Not impressed. I know we are trying to move forward in the world of energy consumption, but I will guarantee that I have more out of pocket costs associated to lighting with the CFL's than I would have had using standard bulbs. I have two more at home that need replacement.

CFLs have done the best for us in locations that stay on for extended periods of time. We have one in our living room reading light that is going on 5 yrs now. Our kitchen recessed fixture bulbs last about 2.5 yrs of very steady use, as much as 8 hrs a day in winter. The halogens they replaced got about 2 yrs with the same usage. For lights that get frequent on/off switching or that are on only a short time I still use halogens or conventional bulbs.

FYI, I bought my first 2 pack of GE (made in china) new generation bulbs. The are halogen in a conventional bulb envelope, 100w equivalent. The first one burned out in 3 weeks, less than 5 hrs use. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.