New (to a friend) Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
My friend and I just picked up a newer Hearthstone Heritage stove today off CL. Nice looking stove. Only minor(?) problem is some 1/8 inch gouges between the burn tubes in the baffle at the top of the firebox. It has seen only one year of use and it came with about 15' of class A chimney and a through the wall chimney support kit.

He is wanting to install either into or in front of his existing masonry fireplace. The current system in place is an old metal heat exchange type fireplace box (all masonry surround) venting to a 12"x12" clay tile and brick chimney that is about 20-25 up through the middle of the house.

Question is this: does he need to remove the current chimney in order to use the class A chimney pipe? Is it acceptable to put the class A within the clay tile like a rigid liner?

Thanks for the help. This forum provides so much knowledge. I really appreciate it!

Never heard of that being done. I think perhaps a liner and insulation would not be as costly.

I suppose its acceptable, but not common at all. It's pretty unlikely that it will fit for staters, is it 12"x12" ID or OD? If its ID and all the tiles are straight then it could work. I don't really see a good way to support it or make a proper stove pipe connection though. It would be best to keep the fireplace and put the stove in another location, or sell it and buy a SS liner kit.

Nevermind the gouges in the ceramic board on above the tubes. That board is only about 60$ and easily replaced but he will probably put more dings and dents in it before it breaks up.

Use a liner, rigid or flexible, inside the masonry chimney instead of trying to use the class A. Or, you could demo the chimney and put the class A in its place.

Used chimney pipe is not a big plus for me. I'd rather get new stuff that is appropriate.

The clay tile chimney is 12" by 12" inner diameter from what I understand. So in theory the class A chimney would fit inside as it is approx 8-9" OD. Seems unnecessary to put a full chimney inside there when a liner would do fine. Also this would avoid any annoying hook ups between the stove and the pipe as there is an offset down the current chimney.

What you all have said tends to line up with what I was thinking also. Good thoughts. Probably the only way we use the class A chimney is if he decides he wants to keep some extra living space by removing the existing FP and putting the stove where it was/is.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have to replace the baffle in my Heritage. I destroyed mine with the poker and jamming wood in. They are easily damaged, but also are cheap fortunately.

Personally, I'd sell the class A pieces and use it to pay for a good quality, insulated rigid liner. It's going to a be a lot easier to install and support that trying to cobble in the class A.

Status
Not open for further replies.