New To Board newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeP

Aug 13, 2011
Upstate NY
Hello to all. I just intstalled a Englander 25-PDVC/55-SHP10 Pellet stove. 1st time using one, I want to buy a ton or 2 of pellets but not sure which brand to start out with. After all the reading on here my head is spining LOL, I found alot of great info on this site.
Also what is a shoulder pellet ? I took it as a cheap get you by bag? sorry for the dumb questions. Any advise would be great thanks.

JoeP said:
Hello to all. I just intstalled a Englander 25-PDVC/55-SHP10 Pellet stove. 1st time using one, I want to buy a ton or 2 of pellets but not sure which brand to start out with. After all the reading on here my head is spining LOL, I found alot of great info on this site.
Also what is a shoulder pellet ? I took it as a cheap get you by bag? sorry for the dumb questions. Any advise would be great thanks.

Welcome to the forum JoeP .

A shoulder pellet is a pellet that produces less heat per pound than other pellets (they may or may not be the cheapest in terms of per bag price).

At the top of the forum in the sticky links there are a number of links to pellet reviews.

jtakeman was doing a lot of burn tests for his purchasing and posting the results here.

Joe, first of all, congrats on the new stove (and don't forget to post some pics, or as we say here, "no pics=it really didn't happen!"). The 25-PDVC is a good solid stove. keep it clean, and it will heat well.

As for pellets, it will be easier for us to help you decide what pellets to get if we know what pellets you have available in your area. Lowes & Home Depot usually have some decent pellets at good prices (at least right now they are), and Tractor Supply is another option.

Thanks guys, Home Depot & lowes both are a close drive. one place has New england @ $209 a ton, Farm & FamilyCTS @ $214 a ton, not sure the brand. Just started checking around for others heard Agway has them, will be pricing more this week. Forgot to ask anyone know the srew size for the back plat cover? srews did'nt come with it. Site said 5/16 way to big. thanks

JoeP said:
Thanks guys, Home Depot & lowes both are a close drive. one place has New england @ $209 a ton, Farm & FamilyCTS @ $214 a ton, not sure the brand. Just started checking around for others heard Agway has them, will be pricing more this week. Forgot to ask anyone know the srew size for the back plat cover? srews did'nt come with it. Site said 5/16 way to big. thanks

Depending on which NEWP plant them, that's not a bad price. Although the NY plant (Schuyler) has had some "issues" in the past few years with quality control, they claim to have fixed that. The NH (Jaffrey) plant always seemed to have a better pellet.

If you go to this Lowes web site, you can sign up for a 10% off "moving" coupon.....Home Depot has told me that they will honor it too:
www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registratio...d=-1&catalogId=10051&UserSearch=moving+coupon

Not sure who's making the pellets for Agway this year.....there have been a couple different companies bagging for them in the past.

As for the stove cover screw, did you buy the stove new? If so, just call Englander and they'll ship you what you need under warranty.

I want to thank you guys I got the Lowes discount and with tax and all it will be $191 per ton. Also Englander CS dept is great They helped reprogram my control board walk me helped me trouble shoot an auger problem. I see many say there a cheap stove but just for the great Company service.I'd buy again. Most sell things for alot but don't back it these guys went above and more to help, all wilth out selling a newbie things.

Should be NO tax Joe! Never! Renewable energy is exempt, and they get enough out of our paychecks anyway.

Czech said:
Should be NO tax Joe! Never! Renewable energy is exempt, and they get enough out of our paychecks anyway.

Not necessarily. The state cannot tax fuel, but in some areas of NY, local municipalities & counties can.

Scroll all the way to the very bottom of this form to determine if you have local/city tax on wood fuel:

www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub718r.pdf

So when I buy pellets I shouldn't be getting taxed for them ??

Hank Hill said:
So when I buy pellets I shouldn't be getting taxed for them ??

Every state/county/city/etc, etc is different....check with your state-level tax website, or call them.

Thanks Good to know, the county next can get 4% but below me at Lowe's they can't guy that told me tax made a mistake by the tax link you gave, me so I'll take it with me at check out and take 2t on plus the 10% off. I'll let you know how it goes Thanks

Lowes tried to get me on taxes when tractor supply was no tax, zero zip none and less than 2 blocks away from lowes. I went to tractor supply because they had somersets and no tax charges.

Ok Guys Sorry it took so long, but here is the outcome. I picked up 2 tons for $355 Total NO TAX (thanks). The Brand is Natures Own premium grade ,Ash Less than 1%, Fines less than 0.5%, Sodium Less than 300ppm. So is this a good deal or will I regred it. 1st timer newbie.

JoeP said:
.....I picked up 2 tons for $355 Total NO TAX (thanks). The Brand is Natures Own premium grade ......So is this a good deal or will I regred it......

Joe,
according to our resident pellet tester, Jay T., they are the same pellet as Stove Chow, just in a different bag. If last years results of SC are any indication, you should have a better-than-average pellet there. For that price, "you done good".

imacman said:
sinnian said:
(I assume he knows that Okanagon is using his testing, pictures, etc.)

Yes, I'm pretty sure he knows that. :)

Yeah, Mr. Warm gets a big kick out my playing around and all I gets is a backache, sore knee's and a big pain somewhere else(A$$). But a few bags of free fuel here and there keeps me going.

Hi Joe

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a detailed cleaning we did on a 25-PDVC not long ago. You can print it and have it handy for your first yearly cleaning!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76319/

Good Luck
Don

P.S. Don't forget!! We like to see pics of your Install!!!

Here is a pic of my basement install!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 219
Nice Pic, Thanks for the link I saved it will come in handy. I'll get a pic on soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.