New to burning...how hot is too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hatesgas

Jul 14, 2009
MA
I've been getting a lot of "advice" from friends (and my wife) on how hot to burn the stove. For context, I have a Russo Coal Wood Combo #1. I have it set up on my masonry fireplace and vented up through the chimney. I like to burn it at 500-550. Some say that is too high. What say you? Thanks!

I'm a rookie too. This is my first year burning full time and have tried about everything possible in the last few months. I'm running an older Fisher stove and find that it heats my home best at top plate temps around 500-550. However I am unfamiliar with your brand of stove but any good fire is going to produce those temps easily.

550 is too close to the ignition point of creosote for me.... I prefer to run my 'ol smoke dragon between 350 and 450... with my stove @ 450F, burning black locust... I am just about blasting myself out of my 1865 farmhouse... with mostly no insulation.

My stack is at 400.... it's 15F out... a load of BL in the stove... and I am in shorts and bordering on uncomfortably warm...

Where are you measuring this temp, on the flue pipe or on the stove top? 550F is not too high if on the stove top. There's a difference between too hot for comfort and too hot for safety.

I a running an insert but my stovetop criuses around 500-550 but i think its hotter than that because at 650 the top begins to glow further back inside the circulator box around the flue. Plate steel shouldnt glow visibly until around 800f. An area about the size of a basketball will get nice and bright if i leave it opened up long enough. OK disclaimer time: IF any part of your stove or pipe glows visibly you ARE overfiring you should close the primary air control and flue damper if installed to gain control over your appliance until surface temps are within a safe range.

Ran a large load of ash in Granpa fisher last night . Was going for a longer burn time. WILL NOT EVER do this again . Got too hot , dampered down to control , then the belching started . Catch 22 stop the belching and stove temps soar . Got it stable at 625 stove top lower level , took couple hrs . I run my VC at 600-675 all the time
Got a good hot burn for 9 hrs 350 +

Odd thing pipe temp never got real hi (400 max)

Thanks all. I have the thermometer on the stove because the pipe is in my fireplace and I can't really see it as it runs up the chimney. This stove was given to me for free. Plan is to put a Jotul insert in for next winter. I couldn't resist the free stove though. Thanks for your input.

Mark

Pipe temp and stove top temp, depends, very much, on stove
My Stove top runs about 200 over pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.