New to coal burning and what do I have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtchief

Aug 28, 2008
Northeast PA
I just bought my first house and along with it came an old coal burner. The only thing I found on it is "Benton" in larger letters across the door with an eagle below it. It has two damper on both the ash door and loading door. I'd like to find out any information I can on it and would appreciate any help. There appear to be two bricks along the back that are broke and the bricks dont line the whole thing up to the top either. I know I need to replace the two broken, but are they suppose to be all the way up to the top of the stove? Any other tips would be great. Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your coal burner (although I kind of doubt the fire brick is suppose to go all the way to the top of the box). There are a few guys here who know a thing or two about burning coal, but I think you might find a lot more help over at the anthracite coal forum: http://nepacrossroads.com/forum-74.html

Living in PA you are lucky enough to have quality and inexpensive coal readily available, burning coal will save you a lot of money so take advantage of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.