New to EPA stoves. Drolet 1800i insert review.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
New to EPA stoves. I am really amazed how efficient they are. Just installed a Drolet 1800i insert. For beginners this has to be one of the simplest stoves to operate with well seasoned wood. For a cold start I do a top down fire with well seasoned red oak. About 30 mins in I put the damper all the way in and the secondaries kick in. I get about 5-7 hours of tremendous heat through the entire burn. I was amazed looking at the chimney and seeing absolutely no smoke with just a slight smell of burning wood. Looking forward to my first burning season.

I bought a soot eater to clean the liner. I took the secondary tubes off and stone and was going to do a sweep bottom up but there was absolutely nothing in there about a month into burning. I will check down the road but wow do these burn efficient.

Thanks for the report Brian. It's good to hear the 1800i is working well for you. It's simple, no nonsense heater. If you feed it dry wood and burn right the flue probably will only need cleaning once a season.

Always good to see a happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.