New to Everything, any assurances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got my local fire department coming out this morning to check the dealer install. Both for my piece of mind and for insurance purposes. Fingers crossed. Insurance questionnaire wanted to know if stove is UL approved. Couldn't find any such notation but will photocopy and send them the part of the manual that references the O-TL testing that mentions ULC.

There is a tag on the back, side, or possibly inside the hopper, that has the UL listing tag on it.

Yes, it is UL approved/tested...

There is a tag on the back, side, or possibly inside the hopper, that has the UL listing tag on it.

Yes, it is UL approved/tested...

Sweet! I will check for that thank you. The only immediately visible label on the stove itself only referenced the O-TL testing.

OTL is who UL listed the stove its O-T-L (Omni Test Laboratories)

Its a tag that looks like this, right?

2012-08-22_17-27-41_670.jpg

OTL is who UL listed the stove its O-T-L (Omni Test Laboratories)

Its a tag that looks like this, right?

View attachment 72459

Mine looks like this which I believe is same?IMG_20120822_205540.jpg The O-TL is in the upper left hand corner. This label is on the outside back of the hopper near the top.
Darn insurance companies make you jump through hoops!

Did you check in the owners manual? Sometimes it's listed there.

Hi Imacman - the only labels on my stove and manual referencing any testing are those of O-TL. Their 'mark' indicates both Canada and US and its tested - also according to the label and manual - to ULC. My research on this indicated this is UL Canada; and further research indicated that ULC and UL now work hand-in-hand.

I just this morning have sent an email to customer service at OMNI asking them to help me understand the labeling as my insurance company is looking for UL approval.

Hi! New owner of Harman P43 here too ... thank you Melissa for starting this thread ... answered a lot of questions that I had too! Question to other Harman owners - do you typically use the "room" or "stove" temp setting, and if using the "stove" temp setting what do you typically set yours at? We purchased the pellet stove to offset our heating oil costs ... I know the heat won't get to all parts of the house, however I did a test run the other night and used "stove" temp setting at around 75 deg ... room that it was in and adjacent rooms were sweltering and we burned through the bag of pellets pretty quickly. I know this will be trial and error for us too ... but any advice on settings/temp and any tricks you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks everyone! Looking forward to learning a lot here!

Hi! New owner of Harman P43 here too ... thank you Melissa for starting this thread ... answered a lot of questions that I had too! Question to other Harman owners - do you typically use the "room" or "stove" temp setting, and if using the "stove" temp setting what do you typically set yours at? We purchased the pellet stove to offset our heating oil costs ... I know the heat won't get to all parts of the house, however I did a test run the other night and used "stove" temp setting at around 75 deg ... room that it was in and adjacent rooms were sweltering and we burned through the bag of pellets pretty quickly. I know this will be trial and error for us too ... but any advice on settings/temp and any tricks you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks everyone! Looking forward to learning a lot here!

I use room temp set in manual mode 90% of the time. I use stove temp auto if coming home to a cold house and set it in the 5 range for an hour or two and then go back to room temp manual.

Hi AWaeschle, and welcome to the wonderful world of pellets :)

You'll get more response to your question if you start a separate thread. I think yours will get lost down here on page 6 of Melissa's thread. Start something new and you'll get lots of advice. We pellet folk are very helpful!! LOL Best of luck, and enjoy the heat.

I tested my stove yesterday when was leaving the house for a few hours. I started the stove in auto and brought the rooms up to temp - about 70. When I got ready to leave, I set the stove on room temp 65 and switched to manual so the stove would not turn off but go to its lowest setting. I turned on a fan set up high on a bookcase to keep air moving to the other rooms of the house on the first floor. When I got home 4 hours later, all rooms on the first floor were a comfy 70 degrees. Not being able to turn of, the temp in the room is likely to be a bit higher than the set temp.

Welcome Melissa, Harmon Pellet stoves are great stoves! Hope you enjoy it this winter and many more to come.

AWaeschle and Melissa,
If you haven't found it already, click on the link in my signature. It gives a complete overview of the Harman stove temp/room temp operation from another forum member/Harman owner, lbcynya. It's worth the read.

AWaeschle and Melissa,
If you haven't found it already, click on the link in my signature. It gives a complete overview of the Harman stove temp/room temp operation from another forum member/Harman owner, lbcynya. It's worth the read.
Thanks!

Yes thank you! I found it after I posted here ... great info!

Status
Not open for further replies.