New to forum, and New insert owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt_Ron

Sep 11, 2013
Michigan
Hello folks, thanks to all for making this forum a great resource. Have been lurking the past few weeks.

Recently moved from a house where we had a wonderful traditional fireplace. Usually had a couple of fires a week during the winter. Our new house is bigger and has two fireplaces both outfitted with gas logs.

Wanting to get back to burning wood, I decided an Insert was the way to go. Problem was, there are many good inserts out there. Narrowed it down to a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 Classic, or the Hearthstone Clydesdale (both in brown ceramic coating). The Hearthstone finally won out because of the big window and the 22" inch log size. It should arrive within the next week and installed the week after.

Will not be using it with the purpose to try and heat the whole house, but mainly to have that nice warm fire on a cold night (s). If it can supplement our gas furnace, that will be icing on the cake.

The other fireplace is in the finished basement. Looking at replacing the gas logs with maybe a pellet stove. Easier to schlep bags of pellets down the stairs, than arm loads of logs. !!

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say Hello and thanks

Hi Capt welcome to the forum. The Clydesdale is a beauty, espec in Majolica Brown. Quite the heater too. For a pellet stove, suggest Enviro, Harman or Quadrafire. Can't go wrong with any of those. Stay warm.

Welcome to the forum, that Clydesdale is a beautiful unit and will more than help supplement your furnace

Welcome from north central Massachusetts. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well that insert will heat once you get up to speed on burning and if you have good wood to burn.

Hopefully you can source some well seasoned wood, if you haven't already. Be aware that dealers will call wood that was a tree 90 days ago seasoned. So make sure if you are buying that the wood has been cut and split and seasoned at least into year two. If you've got good wood you've selected a great stove, the wood thing goes for all stoves by the way.

PS PICs or it didn't happen!!

Welcome to the forum. As a Clydesdale owner I agree you will like this unit. It does a great job for my house by keeping the propane guy from coming around. With regards to 22" logs, this unit will take them, but only towards the front by the door so you won't want to cut or order all of your word at that length. Once your unit arrives, you will see the firebox tapers from front to back so the most space is the front and the least space in the rear. I cut my wood to 18" for east-west loading and I also keep some 12" lengths for the occasional north-south load. I agree with Oldhippie that you'll want to have seasoned wood ready to go if you do not already. Please search the forum or ask questions if you need help determining whether or not any firewood you come across is properly seasoned. Enjoy your new insert!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've taken down a few white oaks and a few red oaks, split them, and have a few cords drying, out of the rain and snow for the last year and a half. Should be good to go by this winter. It is all cut from about 12" to 20".

When we moved from rural Virginia to Michigan, my Wife was asking, "why don't you sell your wood splitter and chain saws". This winter, She will be glad I didn't !! The last wood stove I had was an old worn out Federal set up in my barn/workshop. That thing ate firewood like crazy. Can't wait for newer technology to play with.

I promise to post a couple of picts once installed. !

Status
Not open for further replies.