New to forum, have some questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Nov 7, 2009
Indiana
Hello all

This is my first post and, I want to say hey. I'm sure you here this a lot, but i stumbled across this site after my dad bought an outdoor wood boiler. I had been looking at them for a while and was most likely going to get one. Then my dad came to me and told me that he wanted to purchase a wood boiler to dry down corn in his grain bins during harvest. We purchased a 1 year old free heat machine hybrid fire 150. We've been running it for four days, hooked up to a radiator that is placed in front of the drying fan at the bin. A typical full load will last 4 to 5 hours. Is this going to be typical load time once I set it up to heat my 2000 sq ft house and 1800 sq ft shop? It's an old farm house that is poorly insulated and has 10 ft ceilings. The shop has average to good insulation. Also, is it wise to place the unit 100 ft from the house and a 150 ft from the shop? Does anyone have any installation advice for someone on a budget?

I forgot to add that we are burning unseasoned freshly cut wood that is a variety of types.

Thanks
Erin Patton

Yeah - your setup will not be the best given the factors you've listed. Uninsulated, high ceilings - but most of all, unseasoned wood. That's the biggest issue. In my EKO, if you burn "wet" wood, you'll be lucky to get the unit to 140 degrees. Properly seasoned wood, and you're cooking with some heat!

My unit is 100' from the house, and I have no issues - in fact it keeps the house nice and clean by not having to bring wood inside.

So, since you're situation is less than ideal, I think you'll struggle. Do it right the first time so you don't waste your time.

Nice to hear from a fellow hoosier.

Can you give us some more information? What BTU is your current furnace? Are you going to do in floor radiant, or through a water to air heat exchanger? Baseboard heaters? Are you thinking of putting in a heat storage tank (always a good idea)?

Andrew
(Batesville)

hello emesine, ty for posting

the boiler is rated for 6000 sq. ft. im not sure how many btu's. i am going to use a water to air heat exchanger. i am not sure what a heat storage tank is, but im interested if it is a good idea.

as you guys can tell, this is not my strong suite.

erin

Status
Not open for further replies.