New to forum help with thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hines76

Nov 12, 2015
IL
Hello. This is my second year with my outdoor boiler. Its an older woodmaster but works great. I have an old 2 story home with forced air LP and AC. It is also zoned, upstairs and down. I bought 2 heat only thermostats to wire off both old stats. R to r and g from old stat to w on New. Set the old stats on heat manual at 62, and the new ones on 70. Heres the problem... the LP kicks on. Turn the old stats to off, and works fine, but I dont have a back up. Im lost and any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have AC, wire your heat only t-stats to the AC circuit (other color wires on the existing t-stats). Throw the breaker for the AC to make sure it doesn't actually come on. Preseto...your heat-only t-stats will now only run the fan, your existing t-stat's will provide back LP heat if you reach the lower (programmed) temperature.

I was wanting to know about this as well. Is it really that simple? You just run the "boiler heat" thermostat at let's say 72 degrees and turn the gas furnace thermostat down to let's say 68 then when the boiler doesn't keep up for any reason the gas furnace will kick on?

Sorry to high jack the thread alittle here but like I said I was wondering about the same question.

It really, truly can be that simple. I can't take credit for the idea. I was lamenting having to run a second thermostat wire through my house back in 2008 when an HVAC buddy of mine said "you're an idiot, just use the AC connections on the existing thermostat and turn off the AC breaker in winter". I immediately handed him a beer. It has worked like a charm for me. I run the existing (original) thermostat in a "hold" all winter at 65 degrees. The boiler thermostat runs at 70-72 depending on the time/day. Couldn't be easier....

If you have AC, wire your heat only t-stats to the AC circuit (other color wires on the existing t-stats). Throw the breaker for the AC to make sure it doesn't actually come on. Preseto...your heat-only t-stats will now only run the fan, your existing t-stat's will provide back LP heat if you reach the lower (programmed) temperature.
I've been studying for a test all afternoon so maybe my brain is just fried...but are you saying that you have to switch out/rewire tstats summer/winter?

That was going to be my next question haha. I guess w is call for heat. AC is y? So i should jump from y and not g...

No way. No annual rewiring needed. Your boiler tstat does nothing in the summer. Your boiler tstat is wired to the terminals on the existing tstat for AC. Flip the breaker in spring and carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.