New To Forum - Jotul F 602 - Hearth & Wall Shield Project Begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
I've been referring to the forum for the past couple years. Great site. Grew up burning wood. Now installing new Jotul with a class A stainless chimney. Thinking of going with Selkirk Supervent. In the planning stages.

Included four photos showing possible design and several photos showing the stove in the rough space. No work has been started on the hearth or heat shield.

Plan to make a 1/2" Durock/1/2" Micore/1/2" Durock sandwich for the hearth with stone, brick or tile on top. The wall shield will be constructed of steel studs with a 1"-2" air space and covered with Durock. The Durock will be covered with a stone veneer or brick veneer.

Jotul F 602 requires hearth R value of at least .47. My sandwich wil be R 1.81.

Thinking I might need to move the wall receptacle.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Jotul - Hearth Design.jpg
    Jotul - Hearth Design.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,689
  • Stove Right Close.jpg
    Stove Right Close.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,790
  • Stove Front.jpg
    Stove Front.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Stove Left Angle.jpg
    Stove Left Angle.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,251
A few thoughts here. There is no need for steel studs for the wall shield or going more than 1" in the air space. You can make spacers from doubled up strips of the 1/2" cement board that are attached to the wall studs. What is important is to have a 1" ventilation gap at the top and bottom so that air can freely convect behind the wall shield. If you use double wall pipe there is no need to continue it higher that 6" above the stove top. I would also think about making the hearth wider than required in case you decide to upgrade to a larger stove in the future.

Thanks BeGreen for your input. One of the things that I'd like to accomplish with the wall shield other than protecting combustibles is to create an organic appearance. The metal studs would add depth or dimension. I was thinking of covering it with a stone or brick veneer to achieve this. I think I would like to run the shield all the way up to the ceiling. I plan on using single wall pipe to help radiate more heat into the house.

By using a wall heat shield the stove rear clearance is reduced to 11". I plan on placing it 14". Though do I measure to the combustible surface or the face of the heat shield? Seems to the combustible would make more sense as the purpose of the heat shield is to reduce the clearance.

I like your suggestion to make the hearth bigger in the event I want a bigger stove. I would like to have something proportional to the size of the the Jotul F 602 but see value in a bigger hearth even if I never get a larger stove. I had actually wanted the Jotul 118 Blackbear but since my living, dining, and kitchen (open concept) are only 500 square feet, I decided to go with the 602 since the Blackbear is rated for up to 1800 square feet. I didn't want to end up under burning the Blackbear and then have creosote problems.

I've thought about adding a little more insulation to the hearth to get it over the R 2.1 mark for future proofing sake, but it also occurs to me that the point is probably moot if I don't make the hearth larger as well.

As for the vent holes at the top and bottom, I thought that a nice touch would be to mortar some cast iron grates with a similar latice pattern as the door of the Jotul F 602. Now I only need to find out where to get something like that. Internet searches don't seem to help.

You are correct. The clearance measurement is to the nearest combustible surface. I'm not sure where to find a match for the lattice work looking grilles. There will be one required per stud cavity space. Here is one source of a traditional styled grille in cast iron.

http://www.atlantasupply.com/cast-iron-grille.htm

Your drawing looks nice, I think it'll be very attractive when done. My only thought is this: PLEASE make your hearth bigger than req for the 602. PLEASE DO NOT make it just to fit that stove and that stove alone. Too many customers of mine have made the mistake of designing their own hearths to fit one stove, and find that it won't work with another should they ever decide to go bigger, or for a different look, etc. For example: we have several older customers who did their hearths 10 yrs ago when I first started: now they are getting done with dealing with wood and want to switch to gas, or pellet... or with higher oil fuel prices, they want a bigger woodstove to handle more load, and their configuration doesn't lend itself to accomodate anything else other than that cute little 10 yr old woodstove without modification...

Thanks BeGreen for the fantastic link to some cast iron grilles. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Now I only need to find a place that offers them with a more similar design to the Jotul F 602. They do seem on the pricey side, though. A 2"x10" cost $29. If I only need one that wouldn't be a big deal. I'm going to need at least 6, possibly 10. The cost racks up quick.

Point well taken, summit. I'm not sure whether I'll want a bigger stove given the size of my space (living and dining width is 24' and the depth is 15', with a 10'x10' L off of one end) totaling about 460 square feet. This all at the front of the house. The hallway to the rest of the rooms centers on the the 24' dimension. Though, if this Jotul F 602 provides less heat than anticipated, I could see myself giving a bigger stove a try.

Summit, do you have suggestions for how much bigger? The manual for my stove lists the smallest acceptable hearth to be 28.5"x45.5". I was planning on going with 36"x53". This dimension allows the hearth in front of the stove to be 20" long, instead of the required 18".

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and complements.

For a wider grille, you might try to get a recessed radiation grille (grille only) from a store like this: http://www.reggioregister.com/prod_detail_list/recessed-radiation. Or perhaps make it without a grille? The gap at the bottom only needs to be 1" tall and could be designed into the stonework so that you don't even notice it. Same at the top.

Summit and I agree. The 602 is a great little stove. But I would use it more like a cabin or space heater. If the idea is to burn nights and weekends, then it may work out ok. But if the hope is to help heat the house, then there are better choices and we can help with that. It is not a good stove for 24/7 burning because the firebox is too small.

Some stove alternatives will not need wall shielding at all, just an ember-proof hearth. If you are interested, for starters take a look at the Pacific Energy Alderlea series, Quadrafire Yosemite or Cumberland Gap, Napoleon 1100c or 1400c.

Can post a simple sketch of the floorplan so that we can be of better assistance with the stove sizing and heat distribution?

BeGreen, appreciate the stove selections. In terms of design, didn't care for them. We really like the stove design of the Jotul F 602. Love the Jotul Blackbear (118). Thought that the Blackbear might be too much stove for our space. Here's the floor plan you asked about.

Thanks again for your helpful posts.

Attachments

• Living Dining Floor Plan.jpg
    Living Dining Floor Plan.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 837
Do you want heat just for this area or also for the area up the hallway? As noted, the 602 is a fine little space heater. It will handle this job fine, but not 24/7 unless you are always home and an insomniac.

Chettt, thanks for the encouragement. We'll keep them coming.

BeGreen, the primary purpose of the stove is to provide heat to the living, dining and kitchen which is the big L shape in the basic floor plan. If some heat were easily pushed down the hall, we'd take it. Growing up we had whole house wood burners with blowers attached to the plenum of the central gas furnace. Space heating is new to me.

Initially we wanted 24/7 heat as an option. But we also limited ourselves to Jotul or Morso stoves. We also wanted to avoid stoves needing electricity to run. I would love to be able to fill the box, go to bed and get up to a warm stove in the morning. We thought we could achieve that with the Jotul (118) Blackbear but also thought it would be too big to run efficiently in our space without cooking us out.

I should point out that my house is well insulated. My attic is air sealed and has about an R60 worth of blown cellulose insulation. The walls are pretty well insulated but plan to beef that up in the spring before residing the house.

Would have gone with the Blackbear but also didn't want to be under firing the stove either.

FWIW, I'd choose the Morso 2B classic over the Blackbear. The original F118 was a good stove, but the EPA adaptation of this stove has not shown itself to be a consistent winner. But I would chose an Alderlea T4 above either based on my experience. Or I would choose a Woodstock Keystone or Palladian stove for this space if the desire was 24/7 heating.

For the rest of the house, if you place a fan running at low speed at the far end of the hallway, on the floor blowing cool air toward the stove room, I think you will notice a nice difference in heat distribution and you will be able to run a larger stove all the time.

BeGreen, wish I had gotten some more input from this forum before purchasing my stove. I might have still chose the 602 but then again I might have gotten the 118. I just don't want to be be underfiring a stove. The more I think about it, I would like to be able to wake up in the morning to a warmish stove. I think I'll just have to sleep on it.

Thanks again.

Lots of good information so far. To add my 2 cents, as BG has said, the 602 will not get you 24/7 burning. If that's important to you another stove needs to be installed. I have a pre EPA 602b and I only use it for supplemental heating on cold mornings.

I love box wood type stoves. Trying to find one now. Its hard to find a sizeable one with a decent burn time.

I like box/log style stoves too and my favorite aesthetically is the little 602. Eventually I may get one if we build an addition on the house, unlikely though. If only it put out 40,000 btu or so instead of 28,000 I could probably use the little fella.

Anyway, another log stove to consider is the True North TN19: http://www.pacificenergy.net/truenorth/tn19.php

Stump_Branch said:
I love box wood type stoves. Trying to find one now. Its hard to find a sizeable one with a decent burn time.

Take a look at the Drolet Eastwood 1800. It also has a deep firebox with a narrow front.

BeGreen said:
Stump_Branch said:

Take a look at the Drolet Eastwood 1800. It also has a deep firebox with a narrow front.

That's a square one, I'm not sure what you meant, but I meant "log style" where it's a long narrow stove that loads n/s not e/w.

Sorry, that should have been the Eastwood 1900. It's not a true boxwood stove, but is deeper than wide.

Attachments

• eastwood 1900_1.jpg
    eastwood 1900_1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 676
  • eastwood 1900_2.jpg
    eastwood 1900_2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 692
  • eastwood 1900_3.jpg
    eastwood 1900_3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 678
Chettt said:
Keep the photo's coming as you progress. I love the looks of those 602's.

index.php

If stoves were dogs, that one looks like a poodle

Code:
BeGreen said:
Sorry, that should have been the Eastwood 1900. It's not a true boxwood stove, but is deeper than wide.

That crappy dampner reminds me of the vogelzang i had. A rod attached to a piece of flat bar steel to control air. Mighr aa well be a twist dial. Other than that nice looker.

Need one with a CAT.

joecool85 said:
I like box/log style stoves too and my favorite aesthetically is the little 602. Eventually I may get one if we build an addition on the house, unlikely though. If only it put out 40,000 btu or so instead of 28,000 I could probably use the little fella.

Anyway, another log stove to consider is the True North TN19: http://www.pacificenergy.net/truenorth/tn19.php

Jocool85, nice stove. Though it really doesn't have the look.

Stump_Branch said:

Stump_Branch, the burn time is the key. I keep thinking that the Jotul 118 Blackbear might just be a better option. I'm not sure why I keep coming back to this overnight burn thing.

By the way, when I first read your signature, it seemed as if you were describing your wife after the comma, "german short haired pointer..." It definitely made me do a double take.

Some good stove info and suggestions. Growing up never really had to think too much about stoves. We had a wood furnace attached to the plenum in the basement next to the chimney. Had a blower with thermostat. Fire it up and stoke it, and there you now live in a sauna.

Now, my house is better insulated and we tend to keep it a little cooler than most. Set my programmable thermostat to 65 F when we're awake at home and at 9:30 pm automatically goes down to 52 F just before bedtime. Most nights the furnace never comes on until the program turns the temperature up around 6:00 am.

That is why I'm not feeling sure about choosing a stove. The wife and I want a classic looking Jotul stove. I like the cigar burn style of the 118. Just not sure whether we would be cooked out or end up under burning. Can anyone with direct experience firing the Jotul 118 Blackbear comment on my concern?

We had looked at Morso stoves, earlier, and were almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2b Classic but our local dealer just came across in a poor way. Appeared to want to tack on additional charge to the stove because I wanted to purchase the stove outright rather than have them install. Also, a dealer 20 minutes away tacked on $450. When I questioned the higher cost, much higher than MSRP, I was told "we don't always go by that." After that, plus a good dealer experience in my local area, we were leaning heavily toward the Jotul stoves. Then I called a dealer from my childhood town. I had such a great experience with them over the phone, that I decided to do business with them even though they are two hours away.

Status
Not open for further replies.