New to forum, wood stoves, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffersonv

Dec 20, 2007
california
Hello all,

I just wanted to share my new (and first) hearth/wood stove installation.
What a wonderful addition to my home. The TV doesn't get as much action since the stove went in.
Even though I live in southern Cal., it has been getting rather cool at night. Stove heats home nicely.

Hearth:
2 x 1/2" Micore board for a 1" pad.
13" porcelaine tiles.

Stove:
Englander 30 NCL

Nothing fancy, just clean and functional. All required specs have been exceeded. I think I would like to add some wood trim around the edges of the hearth. We fired the stove the first time last Sat. so the area around the stove still looks a little raw.

I sure am glad I checked this web site before getting started. The ideas people have and the things some people will sell you would really put your home in danger. Thanks to all for their contributions to this site. The information you can easily find here is really hard to get elsewhere.

My quest for seasoned hardwood is really kicking in.

God bless.

Attachments

• stove_from_kitchen.jpg
    stove_from_kitchen.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 220
  • stove_from_foyer.jpg
    stove_from_foyer.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 213
Look s great! One note, if the tile is set directly to the micore, you might be finding them coming loose in time. Micore has alot of give, and is not real hard or stiff.
Welcome aboard.

Thanks Hogwildz.

U know, I was wondering about that. It seemed stiff enough when fascened down.
Geez, I hope it sticks around a while. You can really bust a gut moving that stove!

Well, if she does let loose. Depending how it lets go, you can always clean the mortar off if it comes off easy, flip it over, ad a sheet of 1/2 Durock and put new tile on.
Might lat a while, ya never know. Just be careful stepping on &/or laying heavy loads on it. How long has it been down? Might be fine. I am curious to see how long it goes ok for?
I'd try and avoid stepping on the edges. The main body might be fine as the weight will be distributed more.

Status
Not open for further replies.