New to Forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MickyM

Nov 3, 2011
Yonkers, NY
Hi everyone,
I've been viewing this forum for a while now and I
Am amazed with all the helpful info. I noticed that member
J-takemen compiled a list of various pellets and their heat output ect.
and was wondering what the pounds per hour setting was onnhis stove
at the time of testing? I know he was set at level 3 but am not sure
of the PPH. I would download the specs on his stove, but large PDF files
Are a pain on my iphone.
Any and all replies appreciated.

I believe the OMEGA feed rates are similer to the M55
#1= 1.5 LBS/HR
#3= 3.3 LBS/HR
#5= 6.5 LBS/HR
I hope j-takeman will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

jhass said:
I believe the OMEGA feed rates are similer to the M55
#1= 1.5 LBS/HR
#3= 3.3 LBS/HR
#5= 6.5 LBS/HR
I hope j-takeman will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Your close, ;-)

#1= 1.7 LBS/HR
#3= 3.8 LBS/HR
#5= 7.6 LBS/HR

All pellets were burned on the #3= 3.8 LBS/HR setting to be fair and consistent. Just so you know the #3= 3.8 LBS/HR is only a guesstimate. This will vary with each brand of pellet's size density, As it really is a volume of fuel fed to the burnpot.

Thanks,
That stove puts out some impresive heat. With my stove at
that setting i'm pretty much around 180 deg. Currently burning
Pres-to-logs.
I'm jealous..

MickyM said:
Thanks,
That stove puts out some impresive heat. With my stove at
that setting i'm pretty much around 180 deg. Currently burning
Pres-to-logs.
I'm jealous..

Well, Because I heat from the no no land(basement) I need extra horses to do the heating details. I had strike one with my little quad didn't do the job. I had strike 2 with my bigE didn't cut it either. Wife would have killed me if this didn't do what I wanted. It has a good appetite, But the setback stat helps there. When its cold and its eating 2 1/2 to 3 bags of fuel a day? It does hurt a little. But warm wife is well worth it!

Welcome. This site has a TON of info on it. Wish I had found it years ago.

Presto's do very well for me also. Very dark color and larger in diameter than most pellets. These are not the hottest pellet I have burned (very close though) but they so produce one of the biggest flame heights. Good pellet than can be had for a good price. Actually a little better than the Green Label Ligs. Even though they say they are both blends. The Presto's are much darker and they smell good too..

Good luck with your stove and keep is updated if you do any testing. Also, about PDF files. Do you have Adobe on your iphone? I have several stove manuals saved on my Droid Bionic in Adobe. Quick downloads and easily accessible.

Glad I don't have to feed that beast, thanks for correcting
me j.

Thanks DexterDay,
I also like the Presto's but have little experience, havinh
Only burned Freedom Fuel, and Stove Chow last year.
My phone has Adobe but when I dowload large PDF files
I have to wait for each page to load slowly.

When its cold and its eating 2 1/2 to 3 bags of fuel a day? It does hurt a little. But warm wife is well worth it![/quote]

How many tons do you average a season?

This is only my second season. Last year i burned 3.5 tons
But probably could have used 4. i imagine I will burn 4 this season.
How about you?

I don't think the size really matters. It takes "x" amount of BTU's to heat the joint. Plus stove efficiency needs to be figured in. A little stove will run longer than the big stove.

Example: My Breckwell used over 200 bags to heat my house in 2007-08 season(and I burned firewood too!) and the winter was warmer than the 2008-10 season that my Omega only used 185 bags(no firewood either)! Both stoves were controlled by the same programmable set back stat and the house temps were kept the same 72ºF. Where the Omega shined was it raised the temp quicker and used less fuel doing it.

We froze with the Breckwell when temps got lower than 0º and we had to turn it up to max feed rate and burn firewood. The Omega stayed on the same feed rate until we got to below -20ºF. And we didn't need the firewood backup.

My feelings are that the Breckwell ran longer against the struggle of the house's heat loss. Even though it was using less fuel per hour. The heat loss was more than it could handle. I used more fuel. Plus the Omega is more effient so more of the heat goes in the house not out the vent(biggest factor in fuel savings). So the Omega ran less time against the heat loss. Not to mention how much warmer we felt!

IMHO, Don't knock the big bruisers and think of it like you old oil burner. Gobs of BTU's at your demand. Faster heat rise and less struggles against heat loss. I can't say it will work for everyone? But dang it worked for me!

Hard to explain, But hopefully I did OK?

jedidiah578 said:
How many tons do you average a season?

Last season with my duct mod and some more pink stuff. I only used 175 bags/3.5 tons with one of the colder seasons I can remember. Definetly the coldest season with a pellet eater. No fire wood was used to assist the Omega since its install. Except the latest power outage, I haven't burned any wood since Jan of 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.