New to inserts, please advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman2006

Sep 26, 2016
Northwest Georgia
I am new to the forum. I have been lurking and reading for a while.

We just purchased a single story home with a walk out basement. The main floor has a very large brick fireplace with a 42x29 opening. The depth is about 24 inches. The hearth is raised about 10 inches and is 20 deep. The overall size of the fireplace is huge.

We would like to find an insert that looks proportional to the fireplace. We want to heat with this insert and the main floor is about 1100 feet. The room it is in is connected without walls to the kitchen and dining area. This comprises well over half of the area of the home.

The chimney is good, and has been inspected.

The wife wants a nice looking unit with glass doors to see the fire.

I want heat, but not to be run out by it, a long burn time, and maybe a flat top to throw a pot of water on for humidity and power outages.

We do plan to put in a real wood cook stove later as a novelty and backup for power outages.

We have some wiggle room on price, but the "best value" rather than fanciest is more our speed.

So, where do we start?

Thank you for the help

Lots of choices with a big fireplace. As for the size, there may be more factors that affect heating. One is ceiling height and another is the total square footage. Hot air will rise so it may not stay contained in the main floor unless this area is closed off from the second floor.

What is the total sq ftg of the house and how open is the downstairs area where the insert would be located to the second floor staircase?

Lots of choices with a big fireplace. As for the size, there may be more factors that affect heating. One is ceiling height and another is the total square footage. Hot air will rise so it may not stay contained in the main floor unless this area is closed off from the second floor.

What is the total sq ftg of the house and how open is the downstairs area where the insert would be located to the second floor staircase?

This is a ranch type home on a walk out basement. The fireplace is on the main floor, not the basement. I was wrong, it is 1300 not 1100 feet on the main floor.

The chimney is between the family room and the garage, so not on a true exterior wall.

The majority of the space is a large L shaped room with the kitchen, eating area and the family room together.

Ceilings are 8 feet tall.

It is in NW Georgia, so the winters tend to be mild.

It is a concrete block construction home with moderate insulation built in the 70's. We plan to add to the isolation next year.

Thanks again.

Take a look at the Enviro Kodiak 1700 and Pacific Energy Super if the total flue height will be 12-15'.

Thanks. the Kodiak was one I had looked at. With such a large fireplace, I want the insert to look proportional, but I am afraid it would be easy to run ourselves out of the room when we just want to enjoy a fire in the family room if we oversize it.

How tall will the chimney liner be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A shorter chimney in mild weather can draft weakly. The Kodiak has a shorter intake path to the secondary rack which helps in this situation. Pacific Energy stoves likewise. Not sure on the Osburn, it may be fine but I have not looked inside one closely.

Last edited:
Be sure the liner is insulated regardless of stove choice. This too will assist draft.

Hi Redman, I like Enviros a lot too. In your milder climate, you might drop back to the 1200 series, 1.85 cf firebox vice 2.5 cf for the 1700 series. Its just not as deep, same width of the firebox and looks the same as the 1700. The Boston is a pretty insert to consider too.

Hi Red, the smaller 1200 series has a 1.85cf firebox, prescribed burn times are 6-8 hrs, however in your climate, it could be eeked out a bit longer I'd imagine... its on that cusp of overnight burns, generally, need > 2cf to get overnighters.

Yes, this is why I suggested the 1700 series. It can always burn smaller 4-6 log fires if the weather is milder. For 30F nights I think the Kodiak 1700 is better. Or go for the PE Super insert. It will burn overnight 8-10 hrs.

Reactions: stovelark
thanks for all the information from everyone.
We have been doing some reconsidering and wonder about a second option of a J A Roby Cusinarie stove for both heating and the odd job of cooking should the power be out. We like the look and fact that it is UL listed. Does anyone have any experience with this stove?

Don't have any experience with them myself- googled them and man looks like a nice cook stove but at a price..... seems to be clean burning and would certainly be a pretty showpiece. Don't know much about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.