New to me 046 mag new video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little update...

I had trouble with the split bearing so I took it to the shop where they helped me remove it...Once that was done time for the oven.....I heat mine at 170 for one hour.. I also put the bearing in the deep freeze for the same amount of time...The dimpling was a lot easier then I thought it would be.. After very few it tightened right up.. I also went with red loctite as it was what I had and I could not wait...

Now as I sat here sanding on this head I thought lets see what the bay had to offer??? I found this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...U+0xbl54=&viewitem;=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So I thought I would give it a try... I think it was a good price.....

Attachments

• DSC04279 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04279 (Medium).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC04281 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04281 (Medium).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC04283 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04283 (Medium).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC04289 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04289 (Medium).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 242
So I got to do a little more on this..

Got the DP cover and new 20 inch bar and chain...

I painted the muffler and installed the tags as well....

Also as it sat on my new shelf it leaked out all the bar oil..I had to replace the tube that goes in the tank.I guess after all these years it just wore out...

Attachments

• DSC04511 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04511 (Medium).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC04509 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04509 (Medium).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC04507 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04507 (Medium).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC04515 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04515 (Medium).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 225
Nice job southbound, you gave me a lesson on a tear down and rebuild. Reminds me of the old days when I could actually work on a car engine. I could rebuild a carb no problem, change plugs, do tune ups, change a transmission, etc. Now they have made them so the average guy can't work on them. Of course I have not had to change plugs for over a 170,000 miles on my Yukon, so that is sweet. That saw looks like it had alot of use, now it looks almost new again.

Thanks!!!!

I am finding if you stick to the basics these Stihl saw aren't that hard to work on...

I have already started building my next saw in my head and this one will pose more of a challenge.. I think I will paint the next one lol...

for the hazing on the orange plastic have you tried some polishing compound from the auto section? I don't KNOW that this will work, but think it MIGHT.

That's a sweet looking saw.

Some Krylon clear does a good job.I used it on my 64 build.. For some reason cosmetics don't interest me on saws I know I will abuse...

Attachments

• DSC03653 (Medium).jpg
    DSC03653 (Medium).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC03651 (Medium).jpg
    DSC03651 (Medium).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC03643 (Medium).jpg
    DSC03643 (Medium).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 241
krylon clear? Didn't know that would work. makes sense.

southbound said:
this is making me mad lol....................

lol I cant get it......YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!

southbound said:
It is uploading as I type...

if you cat get it drop a length and I can post form youtube

046/460 fricken getten it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!Get you some...What an Awesome build..........

southbound said:
Thanks jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats A Hot Saw.......Lets go racing!

As soon as you come to tn...

I was surprised as how well this saw cuts..I run a MS440 mag all day but we seem to only cut twigs... I do get to cut trees and the 440 is alright but it an't like my 064.I did not think that there would be as big a difference between the 044 and 046 but there is..This is now my go to saw for sure..I call it my lil'ripper..............

southbound said:
As soon as you come to tn...

I was surprised as how well this saw cuts..I run a MS440 mag all day but we seem to only cut twigs... I do get to cut trees and the 440 is alright but it an't like my 064.I did not think that there would be as big a difference between the 044 and 046 but there is..This is now my go to saw for sure..I call it my lil'ripper..............

Done right they will out run a 660 in most wood and make a 044/441 look silly!

southbound said:
I have only run 2 tanks threw it..The rings aren't even seated yet....

I think it is gonna get stronger....

You will hear it when it seats pick up another 10 percent or so. (Listen for it..Very cool to hear)

southbound said:
can't wait!!

Again not many can take a saw from where you started and make it a Real Strong Saw......If any one followed this threade or ran a 046/460 will know thats a hot runner!
lots of people wanna bees but this is the real deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.