New (to me) Isle Royale--another Craigslist Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NP glad to see you making progress. Fixing the ash lip plate is no biggie. We did mine. For what its worth I burned my IR without the ash lip for a couple of months. I'd think the same weld shop could fabricate you a burn tube just like the others. Take one with you and see what happens. I'm guessing they are stainless.

With a baffle and a burntube you are basically in business. We load ours from the front so there is no need to lift the top.

Just to update:

Found a local welder to fix ash lip, $40. A new one from Quadrafire was $135 shipped, was actually isn't totally unreasonable, but I'm a big believer in "wast not-want not" so we'll fix the old one.

Got final word from Quadrafire tech support yesterday on the issue of them selling me the single burn tube I need instead of the entire baffle assembly for $220--they said no. Even though they have separate part numbers for each tube, they claim that the burn tubes are "non-sellable items." Grrrrrrr.......

I found a local steel supplier that will sell me the 15.24" long 3/4 OD tube for........$8. I'll drill the holes myself--at least Quadrafire was kind enough to tell me (unwittingly) the size, spacing, and angle of the holes on the burn tube I need to replace. My shop vice, spring-loaded center punch, and sharp drill bits should make fairly short work of it....

Lastly, instead of paying about $85 shipped for the 14.75"x8.75" baffle board above the tubes, I found a supplier on ebay that will sell me a 3'x2' piece (which will make 4 of my baffle boards) for only $5o shipped--see this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79790/

Looks like I should have the black beast installed and ready to burn by next week.......

NP

Nonprophet said:
Looks like I should have the black beast installed and ready to burn by next week.......

NP

Now THATS what I am talking about. Sounds like all in all you will have a small investment for an awesome stove.

Non...I believe Quadrafire is owned by Fireside, or something like that. During the research phase for my stove purchase, I talked to several people (some dealers, some Quad owners as well as manufacturers) who briefed me about the size of their operation as well as their customer service and support aspects. Because of this and coupled with the absence of a flush, medium to large size insert, I decided not to pursue one of their stoves.

Stax said:
Non...I believe Quadrafire is owned by Fireside, or something like that. During the research phase for my stove purchase, I talked to several people (some dealers, some Quad owners as well as manufacturers) who briefed me about the size of their operation as well as their customer service and support aspects. Because of this and coupled with the absence of a flush, medium to large size insert, I decided not to pursue one of their stoves.

Yeah, if this stove doesn't live up to the hype, I'll drop it like a hot potato based upon the (lack of) customer service that we've received from Quadrafire so far. Making your customer buy a $220 part when you only need a $30 part just doesn't cut it with me. And it's not like they CAN'T sell me the one tube, they just WON'T.

From what others have said I think that the IR is a really good heater, and it seems like it's a pretty solid, maintenance-free stove, so hopefully I won't have to deal with them much......I like the specs on the IR a lot as well as its looks---so I'm looking forward to getting her fired up...!

NP

BrotherBart said:
Quadrafire is owned by Hearth & Home Technologies. Along with several other brands.

http://www.hearthtech.com/brands/index.asp

Which if I am not mistaken happened about a year or two AFTER I purchased my stove. Maybe that is why I have had a different experience than others.

Jags said:
BrotherBart said:
Quadrafire is owned by Hearth & Home Technologies. Along with several other brands.

Which if I am not mistaken happened about a year or two AFTER I purchased my stove. Maybe that is why I have had a different experience than others.

That's interesting--I didn't know that. Did Quadrafire used to be an independent stove builder?

NP

Nonprophet said:
Jags said:
BrotherBart said:

That's interesting--I didn't know that. Did Quadrafire used to be an independent stove builder?

NP

When I bought my stove, I believe that Quadrafire was Quadrafire with no parent company. I am not 100% sure that I have the story correct, but I think I do.

Maybe BB or Craig or some of the other old cavemen (fire burners) can fill in.

BB, you are correct...which inturn owns Fireside if I'm not mistaken. My point exactly.

Hi guys (and Non-P),

How is the Quad IR working out for you? Did you get it working? Did all the parts fit and do they work correctly?

I have a quad IR too. It has been so good, I have not needed to join the forum very often. However, I have the same problem as Non-P (baffle). It is slowly getting smaller (pieces are breaking off). And the manual says it is important that it is in good condition for protection of the stove and efficiency and should be pushed all the way to the back. I found this tread and I am not liking the quad customer non-service.

I had a bad experience with Quad parts when all my fire bricks needed replacement. Called my dealer, got a heart attack when I heard that set cost $175, ordered it anyway and it did not fit !! Some bricks were too large and several were missing! Gave it back, they ordered another one and that had all the pieces but the two narrow bricks in the front did not fit. I gave up in frustration and used only one narrow brick.

Non-P, can I buy a piece of the baffle board off of you? The large piece piece was big enough for 4 baffles and I really hope you don't need 4 baffle boards :)

I look forward to an update on the stove and I hope we can agree on the piece of baffle board.

Thanks

Carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.