New-to-me old school Austroflamm Integra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibumm100

Feeling the Heat
Well, I didn't have enough pain in my life so I adopted an old Austroflamm Integra. Adopted isn't really the right word because I paid $500 for it. It wouldn't stay running but the auger light came on motors spun for a minute before it would shut down. The stove was really dirty. It looked like it hadn't had a good cleaning in forever. The PO said it was running "rich" but didn't know anything about the stove or how to fix it. I noticed the door latch was pretty loose and didn't close very tightly. I don't think it would've passed a "wad of dollar bills" test. I took a chance on it hoping I could get it going. The cast plates are in good shape so I figured I could part it out if worst came to worst.

Thank goodness the guy had a buddy there when I bought it and they helped me load it in the truck. That stove is heavy. The first thing I did was start to clean it. I got the cast plates out of the firebox and there was a ton of ash behind them, I vac's everything out and found the cleanout plate in the back of the stove. I got three of the screws out but the fourth wouldn't budge. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and gave up on the screw to let it soak. I adjusted the door latch and figured I'd try to start the stove in the driveway. It started and ran for about fifteen minutes and then shutdown. No biggie as it was time to go to bed anyhow. The stove was a lot quieter than my other stove. Must be all the cast iron. I did some checking and I think the fan limit switch might be bad. A couple days later I used an impact driver to finally break the screw loose. I don't think the PO ever cleaned out the back chamber because it was almost full of ash. Tonight I'd like to get it going in the driveway again and check the fan limit switch with a meter once it's going. I have to get some gaskets and such and I want to make sure this stove will run reliably before I consider pulling my other insert out.

Anyhow, I've attached some pictures of the Integra. Looks like it was ridden hard and put up wet. I'll update the photos once I chisel off the soot on the glass and repaint the side panels and the top of the stove. DirtyIntegra1.jpg DirtyIntegra2.jpg DirtyIntegra3.jpg

Wow! You have your work cut out for you.
I personaly would not worry about it running until it has been completely cleaned, the fact it starts is a good sign.
For $500 it is worth that much for used parts.

Reminds me of our second Countryside. PO never cleaned it in two years and wondered why it wasn't putting out heat. Gave the compressor a workout cleaning it and had no issues till the bushing wore out then got a Bixby as corn was still reasonable. Good luck

Anybody know how thick the gasket is supposed to be that goes behind the lower cast plate? There was only about a quarter of it left when I took the plate off and it just disintegrated. I bought some bulk ceramic insulating sheet from McMaster-Carr but I only bought 1/8" thick. If it needs to be thicker I could double it up. I bought a piece of 1/8" X 24" X 60" piece for $35 and change, plus UPS charges. I figure I can make quite a few gaskets out of this stuff. I think it's rated at 2300 deg F.

Anybody know how thick the gasket is supposed to be that goes behind the lower cast plate? There was only about a quarter of it left when I took the plate off and it just disintegrated. I bought some bulk ceramic insulating sheet from McMaster-Carr but I only bought 1/8" thick. If it needs to be thicker I could double it up. I bought a piece of 1/8" X 24" X 60" piece for $35 and change, plus UPS charges. I figure I can make quite a few gaskets out of this stuff. I think it's rated at 2300 deg F.ts
The gasket itself covers the entire lower plate, it almost feels and looks like it is styrofoam it is about a 1/8 + inch thick. They run about $35. I never had one when I first got mine until about 2 years later :eek:
You can buy the gasket for $35 plus shipping. For about $55 you can buy all 3 gaskets for the cast wall, combustion blower and high limit switch.

Last edited:
I bought a whole sheet of material, 2' X 5' X 1/8" for $35, plus shipping. If I need thicker than 1/8", I'll double it up. I might go with 1/8" and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.